Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOSandboxed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Apple seems to be pushing iOS devices as a main computing platform, and without connecting to a PC or Mac the best way to store photos seems to be iCloud Photo Library. But the best I can find is that they still recommend a PC or Mac to back up the library. So there's no real way to drop the PC if I want to rely on iCloud to back up my photos when using an iPad as a main device.

What is the "Apple Way" to do this? Are we still stuck manually backing up our library? Do you have multiple iCloud accounts if you get above 1TB of data?

oodi

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2015
I have TimeCapsule to backup my Mac and local iOS backups. I suppose this is also backs up my photos on my mac. This still includes mac and icloud.

Apple should show some love to Capsule. ios timecapsule integration must be much smoother.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Other options you could use (Not necessarily suggesting all of any of these are a particularly good idea, other than own cloud as you host that yourself and have full control, but...):

dropbox
own cloud
buy space on iCloud
facebook
google+

or other various online services.

Personally i use ownCloud on my NAS.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

lauramayer

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2016
I use time machine on an extern hard drive and carbon copy cloner to clone this extern hard drive.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
This works straight from an iOS device?

OwnCloud is an app, you can upload files to it.
It relies on connecting to an OwnCloud server, some NAS boxes can run it. Mine does.

It's basically similar to dropbox but open source and you can run it on a Linux box or such... the advantage over dropbox is that it's your own server...

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Apple seems to be pushing iOS devices as a main computing platform, and without connecting to a PC or Mac the best way to store photos seems to be iCloud Photo Library. But the best I can find is that they still recommend a PC or Mac to back up the library. So there's no real way to drop the PC if I want to rely on iCloud to back up my photos when using an iPad as a main device.

What is the "Apple Way" to do this? Are we still stuck manually backing up our library? Do you have multiple iCloud accounts if you get above 1TB of data?

I use Google photos to store my photos. They get uploaded directly from my phone and are available to download or view from any browser.

iOSandboxed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 4, 2016
I use Google photos to store my photos. They get uploaded directly from my phone and are available to download or view from any browser.

I've tried Google photos. I like it, but since the live photos don't seem to work correctly with Google photos. This may still be the only way to do it. I was just interested to see if someone knew a way Apple provided.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I've tried Google photos. I like it, but since the live photos don't seem to work correctly with Google photos. This may still be the only way to do it. I was just interested to see if someone knew a way Apple provided.
Seems like iCloud Photo Library would be it as far as that goes.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
since the live photos don't seem to work correctly with Google photos.

I extensively use Live photos with Google photos and currently it is my only way to backup my Live photos since I have checked that I can restore them back just as it was. Can you please say what might be the issues so that I can safeguard myself against it.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Some common sense things will never change.

No one "needs" anything more than iCloud Photo Library, which beyond all features and convenience, is remote cloud storage of photos.

You are not likely to lose any of that data. But could you? Yes. To be diligent, it is wise to keep a Local copy. Apple makes it easy to do this, as the built-in Photos client will indeed save an entire copy of the library.

You can also backup that copy with Time Machine, to as many redundant external/additional storage devices as you desire.

vexorg

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2009
Buy a cheap mac or PC as your backup. Too much reliance the internet is not good, chances are the internet will be down or slow the day you need it most. Nothing beats having the backup in physical sight.

And benefit of multiple backups or from different times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.