What is the average loss ipad 3 owners will lose to upgrade to the ipad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I have a verizon 32gb ipad 3. Is it worth it even if I have to pay around 100-200 dollars to upgrade to the 4? I have no complaints about my ipad 3 whatsoever. What will the average ipad 3 owner have to pay out of pocket once they sell their ipad 3, and upgrade to the 4? I don't play very many games. That is what I use my Xbox 360, ps3, and vita for.

2. B.A.T macrumors 6502a

3. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

well it depends where you stand in your purchase date. i bought the iPad 3, 32GB LTE-Verzon on October 3 and fall within Apple's unofficial 30 day exchange window. upgrading to the iPad 4 has some hidden costs in my situation though:

1) i would like 2 extra Lightening cables - 1 for the car and 1 for work which = $40 extra (there are no knockoff cables in the near future coming out). i could get by with just the included Lightening cable but that would involve yet another item to remember to put in my briefcase in the morning. currently i have 30 pin cables in both locations. however now that i think about it, since the iPad battery lasts nearly all day i could probably get away with just 1. hmmm

2) i bought my iPad on a business trip in Delaware tax free. PA sales tax will add $44 if i returned my iPad 3 and bought the iPad 4 at an Apple Store in Pennsylvania. to drive down to Delaware will cost me ~$20 in gas/tolls and 2 hrs of my time

it's a tough call

4. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If you don't care, don't respond. This forum is for discussion and questions.

5. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

if nobody cares, why are people responding and especially why are you doing so?

6. Jacoblee23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah. Tough situation. I bought my ipad 3 on launch day, so returning it isn't an option. Having the same connector as my iphone 5 is appealing, but I have a ton of 30 pin connectors

7. aznsmith macrumors newbie

I think it's only worth the upgrade for those who use lots of GPU intensive apps. People with the base wifi will probably lose $150. I believe the loss gap will raise with the higher end models. Despite the chipset and optical improvements of the gen4, I believe the upgrade cost isn't worth it.

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Completely unnecessary but also a little funny.

It depends. In the short term prices will level out so just look at what similar ipads are selling for and deduct a little. A far as whether its worth it to upgrade, the cameras and processor don't matter if your 3 was good enough for your needs. having one connector would be convenient, but if there aren't any accessories you want yet what's the point in switching when an adapter will suffice.

9. Red05 macrumors newbie

I think the iPad3 will retain more resell value than any of its predecessors, but an upgrade it still going to set you back about $200 when all is said and done.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I wouldn't do it. I'd save that extra cash, put it somewhere, and use that money in addition to resale money for next year's version. If there isn't anything wrong with yours now, why upgrade? I would only suggest iPad 2 owners to upgrade.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It's a tough sell, a crapload of iPad 1,2,3's have been posted on forums everywhere.

Low prices for basic 16GB iPads are (here in Canada, should be similar in the US).
    iPad 1 $150
    iPad 2 $250
    iPad 3 $300

Crazy / maybe lucky are asking full retail minus the tax. :rolleyes:

Advise: wait for the iPad 5.

12. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I was asking $400 for mine - would take a $100 hit for a processor upgrade.

But I might just not do it and buy an apple TV instead....hmm.....

13. k3roro macrumors 6502

It'd be interesting to see what the resale value of the iPad 3s are on craigslist after yesterday's announcement if a brand new iPad 3 and iPad 4 are the same price.

14. MacCruiskeen macrumors 6502

Then you have answered your own question.

15. steinbch macrumors newbie

I have the 32GB wifi iPad 3 and got in a quote of $475 from Amazon. I'd basically be out $175 after taxes. The iPad2 is getting roughly $100 less than a similar spec'd ipad3.

Just doing some basic calculations (assuming you sell your old ones)...

Cost/year for a new iPad every 1 year: $175
    Cost/year for a new iPad every 2 years: $137.50
    Cost/year for a new iPad every 3 years: $93.75

I don't know if I could handle waiting every 3 years to upgrade, so if I look just at 1 year vs 2 years it seems like it would easily be worth an extra $38 a year to get the newest iPad versus waiting every two years.

**I guess it may make sense to replace "years" with "generations"**

16. satchow macrumors 6502

Amazon is giving me a $550 gift card for my 64GB Wifi the new iPad. To me, the gc is as good as cash (<3 Amazon Prime). I'll probably end up getting the 32GB Wifi one this time, so I'll just spend $50 extra on a new model. Not bad. Try that with an Android tablet.

17. kyo27 macrumors newbie

I got a trade in value of $575 for a 64gb wifi from Amazon locked in before they dropped the value yesterday but I think I will pass on it. Apparently a lot of people are reporting that the company that does the trade ins for Amazon downgrades the condition of the product you trade in. So even if it is in perfect condition they will say it is worse and give you the lower value or return it to you in worse condition than it was in.