What is the average number of days for Apple to repair MBP?

What is the average number of days for Apple to repair MBP?

• 1 day

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 2 days

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 3 days

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • 4 days

• 5 days

• 6 days

• a week

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • more than a week

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, about 10 years ago, it took about 2-3 days for Apple to repair/replace the components of my MBP 2009 17". With the new design and management, what about now?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
It depends. It can be 1-3 days or 5-10. Just depends on that week’s workflow. Definitely not as good as they used to be for sure though.
So, there is not much advantage buying the MBP if I don't need Mac OS? I wonder how many days it takes for Lenovo/MS to do it.
[doublepost=1542501242][/doublepost]
It depends. It can be 1-3 days or 5-10. Just depends on that week’s workflow. Definitely not as good as they used to be for sure though.
I remember that in Apple II era, I was usually the only customer in the Apple dealer. In that era, most people who bought computers were companies.

Reactions: Macintoshrumors

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
So, there is not much advantage buying the MBP if I don't need Mac OS? I wonder how many days it takes for Lenovo/MS to do it.
[doublepost=1542501242][/doublepost]

I remember that in Apple II era, I was usually the only customer in the Apple dealer. In that era, most people who bought computers were companies.
There only advantage nowadays is macOS and on many days I wonder if that is even much of an advantage. Personally speaking, my MacBook Pro 2016 is back in the shop for the third time in 22 months. Each time has been about a week without work. I am less productive without it, so it is money and time lost. By far this is the most unreliable computer I have ever purchased. And now that I am without it, I am using my wife's MacBook Air with the great keyboard and I LOVE and miss this keyboard so much. That damn butterfly keyboard is stupid and was not needed when Apple already had a great keyboard. The only thing keeping them from going back to it is hubris at this point because Apple can never do wrong.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
Got mine back 36 hours later haha. Though this is not gonna be the norm. Id expect a handful of days.

Sent off *right* before it got shipped out mid week from store early evening, received the next day repaired and return shipped, and came back first thing a bit after they opened

unusual, and got all but the logic board and bottom shell replaced on 2016 nTB (new screen/ top case/battery/keyboard)

Reactions: aristobrat

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Got mine back 36 hours later haha. Though this is not gonna be the norm. Id expect a handful of days.

Sent off *right* before it got shipped out mid week from store early evening, received the next day repaired and return shipped, and came back first thing a bit after they opened

unusual, and got all but the logic board and bottom shell replaced on 2016 nTB (new screen/ top case/battery/keyboard)
That definitely is not the norm! Congrats! But it is a bit stupid that for a GD keyboard repair they have to replace the bulk of the computer. Stupid decision and whoever designed it should have been fired.

Reactions: thadoggfather

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Oct 1, 2007
That definitely is not the norm! Congrats! But it is a bit stupid that for a GD keyboard repair they have to replace the bulk of the computer. Stupid decision and whoever designed it should have been fired.
Yeah, its crazy. new top case / trackpad I believe / keyboard / speakers / battery. its all one part.

not exactly confidence instilling apple has this bulk part being churned out

Id expect the norm to be 4-5 biz days

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Yeah, its crazy. new top case / trackpad I believe / keyboard / speakers / battery. its all one part.

not exactly confidence instilling apple has this bulk part being churned out

Id expect the norm to be 4-5 biz days
I mean the one truly shocking thing is that the battery is part of that. I mean Apple themselves considers the battery a consumable part. And they do not charge $800 to replace the battery. I really do not get that move. Yeah 4-5 business days is the norm now, which is actually not all that great for a 'premium' company since Dell will routinely beat that.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Had my top-case replaced this year because of a battery issue. It was repaired for free, but had to pay a standard tax of around USD 70 to the AASP which wasn't returned. It took around 3-4 weeks since I left my rMBP for repair, diagnostics and budget. First budget was proposed at the cost of ~USD 650, then I researched the internet and found that the battery issue was being acknowledged by Apple as a manufacturing defect and repaired for free in warranty. Had to call Apple to inform AASP the new cost of repair. All this negotiation and repair took almost one month.

robvas

macrumors 68030
Mar 29, 2009
USA
I just had a keyboard/bottom case replacement done
Dropped it off at the store on Saturday evening
FedEx dropped it back off at my house on Wednesday morning
So 2 business days

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I haven't had any recent service repairs, but in 2012 I needed to replace the main board in my Mac Mini. So I put down the 5 days it took to get my Mac mini main board replaced.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I dropped off my 2016 15" for the keyboard fix program. on Nov 7 at the apple store. Got to the facility on Nov 10th. And they are still waiting on parts. Apple support has no clue when the part is coming in. I feel like for a "Recall program" they should have the necessary items in stock if not call me when the part does come in like they done on many other repairs...

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
I dropped off my 2016 15" for the keyboard fix program. on Nov 7 at the apple store. Got to the facility on Nov 10th. And they are still waiting on parts. Apple support has no clue when the part is coming in. I feel like for a "Recall program" they should have the necessary items in stock if not call me when the part does come in like they done on many other repairs...
I really hope this does not happen to mine. Mine is in there for the same reason. Should get there tomorrow. I would ask to speak to a manager of the store and just explain that this is unacceptable for a professional level device. Do you have AppleCare as well on the computer?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I really hope this does not happen to mine. Mine is in there for the same reason. Should get there tomorrow. I would ask to speak to a manager of the store and just explain that this is unacceptable for a professional level device. Do you have AppleCare as well on the computer?
yes i have AppleCare. I'm in contact with some customer relations lady who couldn't tell me anything. She was off today but i'm going to follow up tomorrow with her, if she can't give me more details i'm going to request my computer be sent back to me and let me know when my part(s) come in.

I see your in NY what store did you drop it off at? I'm on Long island so i did roosevelt field.
Hope it doesn't take long for you!

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
yes i have AppleCare. I'm in contact with some customer relations lady who couldn't tell me anything. She was off today but i'm going to follow up tomorrow with her, if she can't give me more details i'm going to request my computer be sent back to me and let me know when my part(s) come in.

I see your in NY what store did you drop it off at? I'm on Long island so i did roosevelt field.
I dropped it off at Ridge Hill in Yonkers. I was thinking about going to check out the newly renovated store at The Westchester, but ended up dropping it off before getting some groceries. I just saw that it was received by the repair depot, so fingers crossed it does not take long! I like your username, Rangers or Isles?

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
Dropped mine off last Friday at 11AM. Got an email on Saturday at 4PM that it was ready for pick-up. I day 5 hours for a screen replacement done for free on my 5 year old MBP.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I dropped it off at Ridge Hill in Yonkers. I was thinking about going to check out the newly renovated store at The Westchester, but ended up dropping it off before getting some groceries. I just saw that it was received by the repair depot, so fingers crossed it does not take long! I like your username, Rangers or Isles?
I got an updated that the parts came in for me... hopefully they ordered more then one and you won't have to wait.
Rangers fan! Judging by your pic ranger fan i'm assuming. should be a fun one tomorrow!! :D

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
I got an updated that the parts came in for me... hopefully they ordered more then one and you won't have to wait.
Rangers fan! Judging by your pic ranger fan i'm assuming. should be a fun one tomorrow!! :D
That's great! Hopefully I get an update like that soon! Definitely a Rangers fans. This team has been a lot of fun to watch. I am liking what I am seeing so far. Tomorrow should be a great game to start Thanksgiving!

Reactions: puckhead193

JustinRP37

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
New York, NY
Wow I am shocked! According to my repair status, the computer will be back at the store today! I had it shipped to the store instead of home because we are traveling for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can pick it up before we have to leave, but I am impressed. I hope the keyboard is fixed though.

Reactions: puckhead193

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
what about now?
there's too many variables to give an accurate estimate.
How many people are in front of you waiting for their repair, how complex is the repair, are the parts readily available and on hand?

I think when you bring your laptop in for repair they will give you an estimate and that's fairly accurate. I don't think anything posted here will be very accurate.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Wow I am shocked! According to my repair status, the computer will be back at the store today! I had it shipped to the store instead of home because we are traveling for Thanksgiving. Hopefully I can pick it up before we have to leave, but I am impressed. I hope the keyboard is fixed though.
i hate you hahahahaha :D

Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 11.55.25 AM.png

Chocomonsters

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007

My 2016 MBP 15 had swollen battery and unknown related damage from it. It was at the Apple repair depot for 3 weeks with unknown ETA for repair. It was under AppleCare coverage. Apple support decided to replace the unit. It is currently on its way from China. It will be about 5 weeks since I dropped it off at Apple when I do receive the replacement unit (based on UPS expected delivery date).

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
I have a work MBP with a keyboard issue. Needs the top cover replaced. Apple Store said it had to be shipped out for repair. Would take 14 days. They did not want to preorder the parts so they could do the repair at the store in one day. I’ll take it in when I go on vacation and can spare 14 days for this.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
My 2016 MBP 15 had swollen battery and unknown related damage from it. It was at the Apple repair depot for 3 weeks with unknown ETA for repair. It was under AppleCare coverage. Apple support decided to replace the unit. It is currently on its way from China. It will be about 5 weeks since I dropped it off at Apple when I do receive the replacement unit (based on UPS expected delivery date).
did they give you the same model or an updated model?