What is the battery life going to be on the new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4S battery life took a big dive from the previous years iPhone 4 :(

The 2012 iPhone will have crazy battery suckers such as:
    - bigger screen (the biggest power draw of all)
    - LTE (battery killer, just look at the Razr Maxx to understand why)
    - Faster processor
    - More RAM

Seems like an absolutely lethal combination to battery life :eek::eek::eek:

Any ideas on what the battery life will be for the 2012 iPhone?

2. britneyfan macrumors 6502

I'll never use LTE if the battery is effected or my data use is effected.

But I really hope the battery is better than the 4S. SO BAD.

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

4. troop231 macrumors 603

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

6. Geckotek, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not according to my experience and these charts:
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/10/iphone-4s-battery-not-as-good-as-iphone-4/
    (seems only 3G data saw a significant drop and it isn't a "big dive")

Probably offset by new technology such as in-cell touchscreen

Razr Maxx uses a first-gen LTE chipset. iPhone will have a newer more efficient LTE chipset.

Most likely a more efficient die-shrunk 32nm chip

Insignificant. Most likely not a noticeable affect on battery.

Edit: agreeing with others that it will most likely be comparable to what we have on the 4S...maybe better.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It will probably the same battery life as the 4S or slightly better.
    They always try to improve on battery life. I heard horror stories about LTE phones. Wonder how the next iphone will handle it and if it will make a difference if you turn off LTE in the settings or even if they give us that option.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Ah yes the "you're holding it wrong defense". "Here's your LTE iphone, shut LTE off if you want your battery to last."

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope its not going to be that bad:D

10. SR71 macrumors 68000

It should be better than the 4S for many reasons. The next iPhone is rumored to have a CPU (probably Apple A6) that is manufactured using the newer 28nm or 32nm process which shows greatly extend battery life. The iPad 2 had this same thing done to it after the iPad 3 was released and now gets 2-4 hours more battery than the iPad 2 that had a CPU that was manufactured using the 45nm process, which is what the iPhone 4S has. And if Apple surprises us with a Cortex A15 based CPU, battery life will be through the roof, but they more than likely will not use A15 based chips till next year.

Secondly, the next iPhone will have newer, More energy efficient LTE and wifi radio chips. These LTE chips are said to be MUCH better in terms of energy efficiency than the first gen chips that power the RAZR MAXX. The same goes for the bluetooth and wifi chip.

Lastly, the next iPhone is rumored to be using in cell display tech which combines the touch digitizer and the LCD so they are one piece instead of two pieces, thus making it thinner and in the process requiring less light having to be emitted from the backlight just to make the screen brighter. The display also might be using an IGZO display which are also much more power efficient than regular LCD displays.

All these innovations should cause the next iPhone to get significantly BETTER battery life than the 4S.

11. SR71 macrumors 68000

I'd love to discuss both sides of this. Does anyone else with more knowledge than myself have any other input that they can give?

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

In-cell technology doesn't make a screen less power hungry. I see more in IGZO technology - but that seems unlikely at this point.

Probably.

That's something we do not know.

RAM needs to be constantly powered. And the more RAM, the more power it needs.

Yep.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

All boils down to usage, but I anticipate 10-15hrs with LTE on (if it is going to be LTE) with moderate usage.

14. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Apparently you need to do more research on the subject.

Didn't say it wouldn't. What I said is the difference is negligible.

15. kannesss macrumors 6502a

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

OP: Lay off the threads. I think you've made one for almost every aspect of the devices internals and externals.

17. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

Since I'm in the UK and probably won't feel the benefits of LTE/4G until 2013 or possibly even 2014 (depending on auctions and rollouts) I'm hoping for better battery life when using 2/3G. I think it's a realistic hope when you consider improved battery capacity/chemistry, in-cell display and either quad-core or die shrink dual core processor. Saying that, I'll probably still end up plugging it in every night, but it'd be nice to be able to know I can go for 2 days with frequent usage if needs be.

18. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

I can only hope that it's better!
    I went from a 3GS and only having to dock every two days, to an iPhone 4S and not being able to make it through 1 day. :eek::mad:
    I can't wait to dump the 4S and try the new iPhone no matter what it is.
    How could it be worse?!?1:eek:

19. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

As long as it lasts all day for me then I'm good. Currently the 4S makes it through the day without charging (though it's down to around 15% when I get home). If the next iPhone can leave me with around 25-30% at the end of the day then that would be a pretty nice increase.

20. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The LTE chip will be more efficient than what the market offers at present.

The screen will use new technology that reduces consumption.

Faster processor doesn't mean more power draw necessarily. Desktop processors are loads faster than they were years ago and in many instances consume far less power too.

Adding RAM doesn't use more battery life, the increase is literally not recognizable to the user.

I would expect the same battery life if not better. I also think the battery will be bigger than what we have been led to believe thus far. The CPU will have shrunk, and the phone has gotten bigger with less space taken up thanks to a nano sim.

21. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I have never been able to do that with any phone. Ever. I have been forced to do it a couple times when I would not sleep at home and every single phone seemed to have a proprietary charger (that was horrible btw). My phone always seemed to die on those days.

22. SR71, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

SR71 macrumors 68000

This.

My estimations:

Talk time: Up to 12 hours on 3G/LTE, up to 20 hours on 2G (GSM)
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours
    Internet use: Up to 10 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on LTE, up to 13 hours on Wi-Fi
    Video playback: Up to 12 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 55 hours

With a die-shrunk dual-core chip, more efficient 3G/LTE and wi-fi radios, a slightly larger battery with better battery chemistry, new display tech that makes the display thinner and thus requires less light having to be emitted from the backlight which also saves power, and possibly having a Sharp IGZO display that uses considerably less power than a standard LCD display, there is no way the next iPhone will get less battery life, or even battery life comparable to the iPhone 4S. It will get better battery life more likely comparable to the iPhone 4, if not better.