What is the benefit of saving in .pptx or .docx over .ppt in Office 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tkjazzer, Feb 17, 2008.

1. tkjazzer macrumors 6502

So what exactly is the benefit of saving in the new .pptx versus the old format (.ppt)?

in powerpoint 2008...

I know the con of saving in the new format is incompatibility with versions older than 2007... but what is the plus side?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Support for the backwards version is available from Office 2000 for Windows since April 2006, MS have failed to add this feature to their Mac software though :rolleyes:.

The new formats have the advantage of being more forwards compatible as they are based on what MS hopes will be an open standard.

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Isn't it supposed to have a smaller file size?

You've got to be nuts to use it if you're sending it to anyone. It'll take 5 years minimum before you should even risk it.

4. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

so there really is no benefit in using the new format?

do I lose any powerpoint 2008 features if I use the old format?

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

They did release this download, Microsoft Office Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 0.2.1.

"With the Open XML Converter, you can convert Open XML files to a format that is compatible with Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac and Microsoft Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files."

6. tkjazzer thread starter macrumors 6502

does anyone else want to add their thoughts to this discussion?

Could it be possible that microsoft wants us to use the new format to drive sales of office 07 and 08?

7. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

there are new special features that are only available in 2008 version. apparently. these new special features will be for sure addressed in the update.

ie. formating and text coding etc, that office 04 won't be able to understand.
    especially in excel, they have alot of new formating palets and what not that isn't compatible with 04.

for .ppt. i'm not to sure. but i'm sure there are new features in .ppt that office 04 can not open.

as well there are new fonts i think.. maybe that too..