What is the best and cheapest way to buy a Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macJC50640, Apr 30, 2009.

1. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

I don't really post much, I am more of the lurking reader, but I have been a member for quite a while (even though my rank doesn't show it :p)

Anyway, I will be buying the stock 24 inch iMac in the near future. I will be going for the 2.66 model. I need to know some good websites (like MacMall.com) that can get me a good discount on my new Macintosh. Also, if you have a story, good or bad, about your purchase of a Mac online from a specific website, please share it with us so I can get some feedback on that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    -Justin

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Many like to use Amazon... check them out

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

get a refurbished one off apple's website. you can save $200 or $300.

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Don't forget about ebay. That's where I got mine. Just pay attention to feedbacks. And, my daughter's is a refurb. Do your homework too.

5. macJC50640 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I forgot to say, I want to get the new model with Nvidia graphics, so refurb won't be an option. I know refurb Macs are a great deal, but I really want the new model this time. Basically, I just want some good sites that can save me some money on the Mac purchase like MacMall. Thank you for all of the quick replies, I will check out Amazon.

6. macJC50640 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! That is a huge deal!
    However, like I said, I would really like to go new this time around, since actually my dad will be buying it. I want the unboxing experience, etc. But those refurb machine really are great :)

7. rlewis macrumors newbie

Education Discount

If you are eligible, look at the education discount. If a student, teacher, etc. you are eligible. Prices usually $200-300 less than retail. We buy our hardware every summer when the state offers a tax-free holiday for back to school purchases. Combined with the education discount through Apple and the tax-free purchase, we save a bunch.

Hope you qualify.

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The price for a new one is 1491.98 from amazon.com + free shipping and no sales tax( at least in texas) if you do the trial prime membership you can get it overnight for like $5 shipping. so the total cost is like $90 more than a refirb. a refirb would cost 1406.17. the education store is $1399+tax

9. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Another vote for going with a refurb. Not only are they a fantastic deal but they go through a much more stringent testing process than the brand new machines ever get put through before they're put up for sale. As a result, your odds of getting a lemon refurb are very low.

10. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

get a refurb. best deal.
    save your dad some cash.

11. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

vanns.com

no sales tax + free shipping and they have 0% financing if u want

12. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

amazon

Almost forgot with amazon.com make sure you by from them not a person selling on the site. amazon is an authorized reseller and you get the full 1 year warranty from the purchase date. you will have to fill out a form and fax it to apple to get them to change the purchase date to the correct one. if you buy from someone selling on amazon the purchase date is the date the seller got the machine.