Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Hello,

Here is my question. I am finishing up a website and want to add some music to the pages. I want to create a certain feel to the website. I know there are a lot of free music sites out there but before I go subject myself to the mind numbing process of finding just the right music, I know some of MacRumors Community already have the answer to this question since music is such an important part.

1. Some free/open source music that creates a mood without words, any help would be great?

Thanks in advance.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I think I've come across some, but don't remember where. Really just wanted to advise that a lot of people don't like having pages play music without their permission when they visit so it should be turned off by default. Though it partly depends on the specifics of the page. A number of people will hit that Back button very quickly if music starts playing.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Really just wanted to advise that a lot of people don't like having pages play music without their permission when they visit so it should be turned off by default.

Yea, you are right in saying this. Actually, the owner of the company that asked to have the site built does not like music, but the VP and the Marketing Director do. My solution in the past has been, I include a mute button on every page that plays music, that way, visitors can turn it off if they don't like the music.

I personally do like the music, it adds a little flavor to a dull page if all it has is text and some flash elements. I know not everyone agrees.

Thanks for the advice. If anyone knows of a, or some, good music sites please continue to post.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I just want to second that unless the music has a reason for being there, please, please, reconsider.

Music as part of a flash presentation (for example, most movie websites these days) -- OK.

Music in the background "just for fun" -- no, no, no, please, no.

It's bandwidth used up to download the music, slows downloading of other page elements, taxes system resources, annoying, forces people to immediately seek how to turn it off.

I guarantee you that you will piss off more customers than will think "oh fun!"

That said, you will be stuck with using royalty-free stuff unless you want to go down the route of establishing clearances to use licensed material. You can try sites like FreePlayMusic.com, Incompetech.com, etc. You will probably want to encode as MP3 or encapsulate as a flash object.

Do *NOT* use "midi" files unless you want your website to look like something out of the mid 90's.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
notjustjay,

Thanks for the post. As far as encapsulate as a flash object, that is good advice, I use this program to do that http://www.verticalmoon.com/products/audio2swf/audio2swf.htm

Works good.

I accept what you guys are saying about having music on the pages. I would just like to have the option. I know there are tons of these free music sites out there. And I guess I can go search the web, I was just hoping someone that has already done this could help make this easier by posting there outcome. The two you mentioned are a good start. Please continue to post if you know of other good sites?

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I went on FreePlayMusic http://www.freeplaymusic.com/ Yesterday, found some stuff that would work and then read the Licensing agreement. Wow, the name does not fit there music. There prices are really HIGH! Here is what one of there people told me.

Thank you for your e-mail inquiry received below. As per our Terms of Use, we offer "free" use of our music for home, personal, private, non-commercial use and student educational use for in-classroom projects only, non-broadcast. Most other uses, including Internet use, need to be licensed with us. Our standard rates for one year of Internet use are $100.00 for personal, $125.00 for small business and $250.00 for a corporation, per music title. If interested, we also offer annual blanket licenses which would give you use of any title in the production library for any websites you create in the year. For your reference, our standard rates for Internet use are posted below.

If this is there standard rate per song, what would there blanket licenses cost. :eek:

What a disappointment!

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Ah, right. I forgot that websites probably aren't covered under their "free" usage policy.

Try Incompetech. Their music is free, so long as you can give them a credit, and specifically covers website use.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Here was my last and final email correspondence with FreePlayMusic.

Me

I really think something like itunes would go over really well but instead of a buck a song you could do 5 bucks a song. Most of the website music is used to create mood and not for listening pleasure. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Them

Thank you for your e-mail. We make every effort to keep our prices minimal and work with our clients' budget needs. Unfortunately, our business model is not geared towards am "iTunes" type service for royalty free music, but instead have agreements with our composers to license their music on a per project, per-use, basis. We do hope that you consider us for your future music needs. Best of luck with your projects.

My final thoughts on FreePlayMusic. I Searched there site and found a couple of Songs that would work before checking there licensing agreement. I was not expecting it to be 250 per song title. Again, just wanted to give others the heads up, unless you are working with a really big budget don't waste your time with this site.

Photomax

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
Seattle
A lot of people might notice how cool a website's design is: they might appreciate the layout, color scheme, typography, graphics, photography, open space, etc. They might like how clean and appealing the site looks. They might delve in and find the content engaging. They might consider the site a rewarding, rich and satisfying experience overall. Kind of like opening a really nice bottle of Bordeaux. Perhaps with a nice slice of stilton cheese, french bread and a perfectly ripe bartlett pear.

And then the site's music starts throbbing and its as if someone squirted a huge messy dollop of "cheese spread" from an aerosol can all over everything...

werther

Suspended
May 15, 2006
I agree. As for music used to create a 'mood' for the site, the only mood it creates for me is instant anger and a rush to turn down the volume.

Since the client insists, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.