What is the best long range wireless router, airport extreme or time capsule? Or?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by strikingviking, Jan 17, 2012.

1. strikingviking macrumors member

I need a wireless router that will reach 350 feet with a strong enough signal to use Netflix. This will be line of site in a rural area reaching from one trailer to another. Both trailers run on 12volt solar systems but trailer A has an inverter to convert to 120volts for a wireless router. Trailer B only has 12volt power so the Internet signal must come exclusively from the wireless router in Trailer A. There is no electricity available for booster wireless routers in between the two trailers.

We don't need all of the bells and whistles like being able to connect to printers etc. This is just about sending out a strong enough signal to watch Netflix. Which is more powerful for this purpose? Airport Extreme or Time Capsule? If neither of those is strong enough, what is?

Thanks,

SV

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The TC might do it, but it's a little expensive. I've used Draytek high end routers at long range with success.

http://www.draytek.co.uk/

The TC will give you the added bonus of the 5GHZ band for IOS devices if you have them.

I've never tried an AE at long range, so can't give you an opinion on that.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I think Wilson sells signal boosters. You may need one.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yes, range boosters are a cheap way of extending the range too.