What is the best resolution in SwitchresX you use for Photography editing with rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cardsnk, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Hi all, i own a Retina macbook pro (Model in my signature) OSX 10.9.2

It seems to me that when i do my work using the HiDPI resolutions in the Retina Macbook Pro, i cannot use my notebook very well, as it lags in scaled resolutions. I do heavy Photoshop CS6 13.0.6 editing and image proofing/management using Lightroom 5.3

(Studio Photography, Commercial and Event Photography)
    (Heavy photoshop retouching and composition making)
    (Usage of Text,Brush,Blur tools in Photoshop CS6 are laggy)

+Also video editing with final cut pro x 10.1.1.

Among the scaled resolution that the macbook pro gives, the performance that i can say that is usable for me is the (Best Retina) but the screen real estate is so small, by the time i use larger resolutions, performance is stated to decrease. Which it really do.

I needed the real estate of 1920x1200 but as stated, performance is drastically decreased.

I tried the 3rd party app SwitchresX, i used the non-HiDPI mode of the 1920x1200, and yes the performance surely does improve but the app limits the retina viewing. I've tried 2048x1280 But i am not sure if this is as close enough to retina sharpness with performance not being lost. May i ask kindly on what settings you guys use in SwitchresX without sacrificing much sharpness (screen blur/fuzziness) but also gives you enough performance?

Thank you.

2. Basic75 macrumors regular

Unfortunately until either true scalable user interfaces arrive, or the resolution is increased, you are stuck with either 1440x900 doubled, or with the native 2880x1800 resolution. Everything else is rendered indirectly.

Coming from a 1680x1050 MacBook Pro my feeling is the same, the resolution of the retina MacBook Pro is, ironically, not high enough! I hope they soon bring an updated version with 1680x1050 pixel doubled, or a full UHD which would be 1920x1080 pixel doubled, that is 3840x2160.

Until then I'm sticking to the "best" resolution of 1440x900 and have made the fonts smaller wherever possible. Prominently the menu bar and Aperture controls can't be made smaller, so you really have less real-estate than at 1680x1050.

3. Cardsnk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, i think windows have that font size feature that affects the system globally, i wish they could intoduce that to osx so we can increase real estate.

4. Basic75 macrumors regular

Yeah, even my Amiga could change the font size in the menu bar 20 years ago!