What is the best seeting for fancontrol at macbook 1.Generation?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by patrick1234, Mar 2, 2009.

1. patrick1234 macrumors member

Hey,

i hope for help,

i have a macbook 2ghz core duo (non core 2duo) and the fan works loud....

What is the best Seeting when i use the app "fan Control" or "coolbook"? i don´t know which app is better.....?

2. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Ok, what speed are the fans spinning at now?

On my MBP, I use smcFanControl2.
    Works well. My settings are. You'll have to mess around with it to see what works best for you.

3. houdinize macrumors regular

My wife has a core duo blackbook where the fans go nuts when watching videos or just whenever it wants to (it seems), not sure if smcFanControl is the best way to keep the fans under control. Heat is not the issue so much as noise. Would setting the default to 2000rpm (which is higher than apple's settings) keep the fans more consistent, or do I want a fan monitoring app instead

4. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

Well, there are temperature sensors in the Macbook which tell OS X how warm or cool the internal components of the Macbook are. OS X then adjusts the fan speed to regulate the Macbook's temperature. This is why the fans (seemingly) randomly 'go nuts'. ;)

Although this couldn't be the only reason for the fans being so loud. It could be that they need to be 're-oiled' or something like this. If you are concerned, then get it checked out by a Genius...

Sorry I can't write more, I'm quite busy... :)

5. snessiram macrumors member

I highly recommend coolbook. Solutions such as fan control alter the way the fan speed reacts to changing cpu temperatures. Coolbook however lowers the cpu temperatures in general, which results in lower fan speeds. It does this by undervolting the cpu, which is (as far as I know) harmless, in contrast with overvolting, which can harm your hardware (coolbook can't do overvolting).

There's a manual included in the package on how to set your ideal settings. Basically, you first choose the frequencies your cpu may use. When the cpu has less work, it automatically throttles back to a lower frequency to save energy. This is default behavior. Coolbook just gives you the possibility to use less (or even just one) frequency. I personally had set all frequencies in my coolbook settings.

Per frequency, you can set a voltage. By using a lower voltage then the default of a certain frequency, energy will be saved when that frequency is used and the cpu will stay cooler. So what you want to do is try to lower these values as much as possible. If your settings are too low, your computer will freeze. Just restart and everything will be fine, it doesn't do any damage.

There are tools included to test your cpu, so you can test if your system stays stable at these lower voltages.

I don't remember my settings (I have a new macbook), but they were a lot lower then the default, the macbook was a lot cooler and it never froze. Coolbook is well worth the money (and won't work until you have a license).

You can still combine coolbook with an application such as fan control if you prefer (for example keep minimum fan speed at a certain level) as these work at another "place" (coolbook: cpu, fan control: fan). Coolbook prevents heat, fan control manages heat.

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

I'd actually recommend the Fan Control PrefPane over smcFanControl.

Here's the acceleration curve that I've used on a first-gen MacBook with fine results:

[​IMG]

I'd also second the recommendation of CoolBook. Core Duos tend to be pretty flexible when it comes to undervolting (although it varies from chip to chip, of course), and you can typically drop the temps by several degrees if you're willing to do a bit of testing/tuning. One tip w/ regards to undervolting: test each voltage/frequency pairing for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes you'll get a pair that's right on the edge of stability, and a 10 minute test won't always find it. I actually shoot for an hour for each setting, but I'm picky like that. ;-)

7. patrick1234 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all!

I do the same seetings on my 1.G macbook.