What is the best set of benchmarks to run when measuring HD performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Feb 2, 2009.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

My 256GB SSD arrived today and I'm going to post a list of head to head benchmarks vs. my 200GB 7200 rpm default drive. I'm planning on doing the following:
    1) XBENCH
    2) Start-up speed
    3) Timing of file copies of various sizes
    4) Timing of application boot speeds

Anyone have any other good suggestions? I'm going to do the "before" benchmarks tonight and then use carbon copy cloner to duplicate my current system on the SSD, and re-run the tests after i perform the surgery to put that in my macbook pro. I'm just asking for suggestions now because once I swap the drives, I won't be re-swapping them!

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

If you're planning to use Xbench on SSD I'd recommend doing a few runs, tossing probably the highest and lowest and average the rest.

I've tried xbench with SSDs (G Skill Titan 256GB and G Skill non Titan 128GB) and the results went all over the place. Some results were way beyond spec of the SSD and some were really low too.

Currently from what I've read, there are no benchmarks actually made for testing SSDs.

3. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hmm interesting. Maybe I'll run XBENCH 5 times on the HD and the SSD as well, and then average them out.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

if booting windows is a "solution (if u can call it that)" then check out hdtune.

5. bugout macrumors 6502a

...waiting patiently for the results!

I specifically want to know if that stuttering that everyone complains about is there in "real world" usage.

6. NS31 macrumors newbie

Man, I'm really waiting for your test, for I'm about sacrificing these big bucks to offer my MBP the same disk . I can't wait!

MBP Penryn 2,4 mid-2008, 4go Ram
    and my petit Macmini 2ghz, 2go ram