What is the best third party disk utility/disk repair/data recover type of app?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oban14, Aug 3, 2010.

1. oban14 macrumors 6502a

Long story short, one of my drives is showing issues that Disk Utility isn't catching or can't find. I've heard about Diskwarrior, iDefrag, Drive Genius, etc... but which one is the most comprehensive, is there a "best of breed" disk app out there or one that does more than the others?

Thanks.

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

For 99.99% of the common issues found in the wild (well in my 20 years of experience with Macs), Disk Warrior is the best by far.
    If DW can't fix it, kiss it goodbye and punt.
    :cool:

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't need a comprehensive "best of breed" disk app. DiskWarrior is the best file-recovery utility available for users. If DW can't recover your files, then you need professional-level help.

As for disk repair, run File System Check from the commandline in Single User Mode:
    1. Restart.
    2. Press [cmd]+.
      [*]At the command prompt, type fsck -fy.
      [*]When the command prompt is returned, you will be told whether or not there were any repairs. If there were, then repeat Step 3.
      [*]If there were no repairs, then type exit.

You will be returned to the Aqua GUI.

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

DiskWarrior and Data Recue II
    NEITHER have ever failed me.... but a non-mounting disk could be quite another issue.
    Drive Genius has been about 50% successful for me, and if the disk cannot be seen you may need this first.
    Good luck.