What is the best way to backup my computer AND save data on my external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oxband, May 11, 2013.

1. oxband macrumors 6502

So, once I upgraded to a newer operating system, I never fully switched my external backups of my computer to that operating system. Bottom line is this: I want to do a complete backup of my computer, minus the music, to my external hard drives BUT I want to save the documents, music, pictures, and movies i have saved on my externals since not all that data is on my computer.

What's the best way to do this? Attached is a screen grab of what my external looks like now. Should I just copy over the entire computer EXCEPT for documents, music, movies, and photos, leaving those things checked off in the list of what I'm copying (I use Carbon Copy Cloner)?

Attached Files:

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

There is no best way, just the way that works for you (In your case, I'd say go for it, with what you intend to do).
    I personally have this on my external
    - Clone partition of main drive (for booting if the internal fails). This, like I said, is a full-blown clone (hence the partition on the external is the same size as the partition of internal).
    - Regular partition where I keep other stuff that isn't on the internal.

Also, I don't like to mix OS X special folders (e.g /Library) within my external, hence I just have another partition with my "other" folders (not on the internal).
    In your case, I see you'd have no issue having something mixed (all except music, movies and whatnot) getting copied to the root of the external, and then the external would hold "unique" information (music, movies and whatnot) not available on the internal.