What is the best way to backup my iTunes Metadata?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacintoshMan, Oct 30, 2012.

1. MacintoshMan macrumors regular

Hello,

So I have a desktop media station with 3 hard drives in it. The first one is a standalone system drive which I boot off, launch applications from, and hold all OS related files. I store no media on this drive.

The other two are 2TB hard drives, running Raid1 controlled by a standalone raid controller.

My boot drive is failing, and I wanted to know how to backup my iTunes meta data (like playlists and genre and organization etc). All of the media is backed up, I just want the essential system files.

Procedure?

2. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

You will want to back up the entire iTunes folder (location below). The library files are what stores the ratings, play counts, etc. If you aren't storing the content within the iTunes Media folder, then those library files will also remember where they are located on the external drives. When you install the new hdd and get the machine back up and going, place the iTunes folder with the library files back in the same place. Then when you go to start iTunes, press and hold the Option key and select "Choose iTunes Library" and direct to your prior library.

/Users/[USERNAME]/Music/iTunes/