What is the best way to calibrate the 15 in retina display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexjones, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Alexjones macrumors 6502

I just got my replacement rMBP last night. it is a Samsung display and yes, It has a little yellow tint, But this ones for keeps. I know there is a calibration feature built into the display setting, But what exactly do i adjust to reduce the yellow?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The best and most accurate is to use a display calibration device, you can find them on amazon. X-Rite or datacolor are two makers that I've heard about.

3. Alexjones thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the built in calibration tool? I have tried moving the White point slightly and that seemed to help. I just want to make sure i am not disturbing the natural color balance

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

It certainly would help but need to remember what is the true kelvin temp. Normally that is 6500 kelvin temp. You go higher than it will go more blue and lower it will go more warm and in this case yellow. Problem is you have no idea what the true kelvin temp is without a device calibrator to adjust it perfectly. Your guessing with the Apple tool. Not that is bad just need to understand what you are doing as you may wind up at 6800 kelvin temp which is on the cool side , so all your images will run cooler looking. Do you need a device calibrator no not really as your not doing critical color in your everyday life. Your going by what is pleasant to your eye and nothing wrong with that . Some of us in the photo and video industry we need to be dead on the money and why we use device calibrators. I use one from X-Rite a I1Display Pro.