What is the best way to connect macbook to external display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stefas2, Feb 13, 2010.

1. stefas2 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Although I have spent a considerable amount of time searching for an answer, I can't find one which directly addresses my issues.

I am trying to find out:

1) whether it is better to connect my macbook (late 2007 GMA950) to an external monitor via a mini dvi to hdmi or via a mini dvi to dvi cable. One of the external monitors I am thinking of buying (LG M1962D-PC) offers both hdmi and dvi outputs but is a bit more expensive than LG W2043T-PF which only offers dvi output.

2) whether 1600 x 900 display resolution will provide good (decent?) quality.

Please take the time to answer if you know any of the above questions.

Thank you.

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Im not sure if apple sells a Mini display to HDMI adapter cable. I know they have DVI and VGA, DVI would give you best quality.

3. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I think in terms of picture quality, DVI and HDMI are pretty much the same, but one of them might not carry audio (but it's just a speculative thought).

I use a 22" Samsung with my 13" MBP and 1600x900 is not great, generally. But it is definitely worth doing, nevertheless. Two screens or just having one with a matte surface and larger screen area... You just have to ignore the relatively low resolution, for most tasks, including gaming, browsing, films and typing, it will be fine.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

it's a late 2007 macbook, it's a mini dvi as the OP said, not mini display port.

there are adapters for both mini dvi and mini displayport to both dvi and HDMI, you might have to go non-apple though.

hdmi has the ability to carry audio, DVI doesn not.
    but, in this case it doesn't matter, no audio comes out of the display connection on the macs.
    there are external boxes that include a usb connection to get audio into an HDMI cable if you need it.
    ------
    as far as which is better between dvi and hdmi, they are the same video signal, just different shapes on the connector.

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I would just save some money if I were you and go the mini-DVI - DVI route. An HDMI port on the other end is not going help you in terms of graphical quality, since the outbound port is mini-DVI anyway. The mini-DVI - DVI connectivity will give you a very high quality output. You should have no regrets for going that route.

6. stefas2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Best external display for macbook

Thanks to all of you, you have really been very helpful. This being the first discussion I start in a forum, I really appreciate what collective intelligence really means. As per my issue, I finally decided to go with the mini dvi to dvi solution.

Would any of you please suggest any decent displays at the price range of £100-£150 with DVI output. I presume one that would -at least in terms of resolution and color- work well (been tested by you?) with my late 2007 macbook.

Thanks

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Just one more thing...

I use a Samsung SyncMaster T220HD. I have been using this for about a year now and I am happy with it. My only regret is that it is not full HD, only 'HD-ready' (720-ish pixels). For around £200, I also have a television, as it has a built-in digital tuner, obviously it has decent sound and a remote control. So if I change my mind, I can always use it as a bedroom TV. It has a version that hasn't got the tunes, sound and remote, that is much cheaper. It looks classy too.

For some reason if it's in TV mode, the sound comes up occasionally, but it's only a few seconds. I bought it from pixmania with two years warranty, just couldn't send it back, as I always use it.

Whatever people say, I think Dell offers some really good displays too. If money is an issue, they might be even better. Basic functions, but very well priced.

8. Lesha macrumors newbie

Early 2007 HDMI Quandry Redux

Turns out we don't have the mini DVI port - and we have a Wonderful Westinghouse monitor just dying to get the resolution.

Suggestions on HDMI connection? I've been tearing my hair!