What is the best way to deal with so many accounts these days?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hajime, Jan 17, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello, with so many places requiring online registration and so many email accounts, what is the best way to handle so many accounts? Do you use different userid and passwords? Do you use the same userid and password? Do you have a file to store all the different passwords of different accounts? What if few months later you want to change the password of some/all of your accounts at the same time? What is the best way to do this?

2. AppDevJP macrumors newbie

I use lastpass to store login info and other sensitive notes. It has an iphone/mac/web app. It let's you generate secure password. You should avoid using the same password for different services.

3. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Osu,
    It is a very good question. Faced this problem some years ago. Tried numerous software. Used Keeper on all platforms for many years. It has its advantages, but has some irritating flaws. So I turned to Locko on OS X and iOS. It is simple and effective, the UI is much better than of Keeper. And it really works.

4. Mildredop macrumors 68020

What's stopping these password keeper services from being hacked and the hackers suddenly getting access to every one of your logins and passwords?

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Well, there is no 100% "bulletproof" solution to anything. Nevertheless it is still a much secure way to keep track of all your user names, passwords, card details etc. The other option is to use a paper and a pen. In this case there is no need even for a hacker.
    In case of Locko the database is fully encrypted.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I use Onesafe. Keeps and generates passwords for you.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use 1password, for holding my info, I also only use a specific email address which makes things a little simpler.

8. Powermax macrumors regular

I use 1Password for everything, I have close to 150 items stored in it! The good thing is, I can now have a complex, individual password for everything.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I use Roboform Everywhere. There are clients for OS X, Windows, iOS and Android. As for the security of your data on their servers? They don't use off-the-shelf server solutions, it's all programmed in-house. See the blog post linked below.

RoboForm Security Lastpass Hack

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Old skool.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Huge inherent security risks, especially if that is done in a business setting.

We all joke about people using post-it notes on their monitors to hold userid/password info, but its really a bad idea.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not post it notes, - I only ever use those for shopping lists - @maflynn, but, my diary, which never leaves my side or briefcase.

Very much so, at times. I am a huge fan of pen and paper.

Many people don't get that you can take or leave technology, - a bit like an a la carte menu - tele what you want, or need, but do not need to master it all.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It still represents a serious security risk, as if that notebook falls into the hands of someone they will have the keys to the kingdom so to speak

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

DataVault and individual passwords for everywhere. No chance of my data getting into the wrong hands, cause it's all stored locally. Backups are in Dropbox, but it's all hashed and double encrypted.

15. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

1Password. Runs on all my devices. Lets me create and use unique and complex passwords.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

So, be it.

Much of life is a trade off between competing needs. Most of all, @maflynn, I will not let my life be ruled by fear. There are intelligent precautions, and there is paranoia. My paper diary is here beside my desk in my study at home, or in my briefcase, or sometimes in my inside jacket pocket.

In any case, when working anywhere other than in a university, I tend to have two diaries, a work one, and a private one. The work one holds reminders of meetings, times and venues. And that's it.

And, at the end of the day, one can always put a paper diary to the flames, whereas removing, or securing, - or remembering the details of - online storage might prove more troublesome.

And, I am a huge fan of pen and paper - all notes I make at meetings, or for presentations I give, start out on pen and paper. For that matter, @Apple fanboy - not only am I old skool re matters such as online diaries - I don't, for example, have a smart phone, and while my antique Nokia is starting to stutter a bit, it remains wonderfully unhackable.

17. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I use excel and password protect that sheet with a password I know for sure. I don't trust those password protect app, if they get hacked, ALL my accounts would be vulnerable.

As for many accounts, I use different username and passwords, just so if there is an account that got hacked, my other accounts won't be affected.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

1Password doesn't store, hold or access your information. They can get hacked but your information is on your computer and is encrypted.

19. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Locko follows the same, safe practice.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

1Password kicks ass. Multiple vault support is awesome as well. I have ~200 items in my personal vault and close to another 100 just for my work one.

And yeah, like you said, 1Password stores all data locally (unlike LastPass), so there is no cloud-based service to be compromised.

21. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I use Locko and 1Password but have neither of them syncing (Why two different apps? I'm waiting to buy 1Password for the Mac until I get a new machine). If I'm only going to ever need it on the computer, then I keep it there, if I'm only ever going to need it on the phone, then I keep them there, and the only stuff that's the same is the stuff I would have a need on both devices.

Another thing I do (the best way I can) is purge accounts I know I'm not going to be using ever again.

As for passwords themselves... They're all randomly generated by these apps.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you never have to log onto a computer that isn't your own? I've tried using 1password before, and having it generate a password, but I stopped and went back to passwords that I could remember after realizing that I usually got stuck having to reset my password when I wanted to log on somewhere I didn't have 1password installed since I couldn't remember the random string of letters and numbers.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Very fair and well made point. (And yes, this is an issue. agreed).

24. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I haven't had to do that in a few years now. But if I did, well, that's what having the phone is good for. A hassle to type out the password, but better than not having it at all. They don't have to be long to be a strong password either, something like $80nS)t*plV#9 is short, strong, but won't drive you crazy to type out manually.