What is the best way to get rid of that Shine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hydrocity, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Hydrocity macrumors 6502a

Im talking about the keyboard. Mine gets that shine every once and a while, and using a screen cleaner + microfiber doesnt completely get rid of it.

Is there someway, preferably using a common household item, to get rid of that keyboard shine almost completely?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, reading it now.
    I do most of the time. But Im still 17, so I probably still secrete a lot of oils. Its fine, but I would like to find a way to clean it off.

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I use one of those iSkin keyboard covers. It felt weird for the first couple hours, but now I type faster and more quietly with it. No oil, either.

6. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

dont use windex and paper towels man too much lint left behind and could get under your keys...i have the same problem and just quickly go over each individual key with thesehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N0YYK6 they dont leave a lot behind a make your track pad nice a smooth too.

7. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's called wearing. It happens when you use stuff. You will not be able to clean it away.

9. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Is that what it's called, snarky69?

I'd bet it is oil from your fingers and it can be cleaned away. I usually get mine out with my eyeglass cleaning solution and the microfiber that the MBP came with.

10. snaky69, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

snaky69 macrumors 603

All the apple keyboards I've seen do get somewhat shiny from oil, but the roughened texture they have to prevent them from being shiny also slowly wears away as you use the keyboard, I'd know, I own the wireless keyboard and my non-unibody MBP, both have shiny keys(the most used ones being the shiniest) and both are squeaky clean. My macbook pro's trackpad also has a nice shiny spot about 1 inch in diameter in the middle, I guess I tap to click there a lot.

I stand by my statement, unless you stare at them instead of using them, the keyboard's key will eventually become shiny.

11. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

12. Hydrocity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies everyone. Im thinking about using Windex w/microfiber.

Can anyone confirm that it wont mess up my keyboard somehow. I doubt it will, but I dont want the lettering wipe off.

13. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Something about the word secrete rubs me the wrong way.

14. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i don't suggest using any chemicals (such as windex).

just put some water drops on the microfiber and wipe away. don't use bounty (paper towels) or stuff like that as the lint will probably get in the cracks of the keyboard area.

if u want to permanently remove the oil keyboard issue, buy a thin/cheap keyboard cover from ebay.

15. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

Windex contains ammonia, I'm not sure it plays very well with plastic, it should cause no problem to the aluminum though.

I'd try either a slightly moist microfiber cloth(and I do mean slight moist) or some isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol will break down oils and fats and will evaporate very quickly.