All iPads What is the best way to get the ipad 5 on launch day?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by meneguar, Oct 15, 2013.

1. meneguar macrumors newbie

I will try to get the ipad 5 the release day because we can speculate it will be out for november 1st. I need it on that date since my wife's birthday is on november third.

IF it eventually come out on november 1st, what would be my best option to get one on that day?

I hope it will come out because I have no back up plan! :D

Thanks!
    Sorry for the bad english.

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

My guess....

Apple store....Very, Very early is my best guess to stand in line.

No one knows if Apple Online Store will have a Pre-Order as they did last year for the iPads. So that is possibly a no go for you on day one.

If Apple does have a pre-order to be delivered on first day (Nov 1st for example) than you better be the very first online to order it as many will be doing the same and you don't know what number you are or when it will be shipped to you.

Or...Give your wife a nice birthday card with a "Bought you an iPad 5-Coming later. Kiss-Kiss" message

3. bobright macrumors 601

Apple store online is the best bet at 12:00AM PST

4. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

It will be very difficult to obtain one on launch day. The new iPads are wanted by hundreds of millions of people around the world and inventory will be scarce. I wish you all the luck in the world though!

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

The best thing to do on launch day depends on which model you want. If you want a cellular variant (and it is available the same day as wifi) you could go to a carrier store. Be prepared to shell out a bit more for the next model up if they don't have yours. I seem to recall Best Buy doing their own preorders so that may be a good option as well. Ultimately if Apple does orders online for same day delivery as launch that would be ideal.

6. Djay macrumors member

Perhaps little bearing on the iPad 5 launch, but ...

My experience purchasing the iPad 3 was to simply walk into the U.S. retail chain, Best Buy, and get in line behind 5 people midday of the 2nd day of launch.

It seems the upper end models generally sell more slowly at launch at the brick & mortar stores such as Best Buy. My purchase was the wifi only 64 Gb version of the 3.

7. meneguar thread starter macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a White 16GB Wifi in Canada.

8. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I REALLY hope they have preorders with launch day delivery.

9. meneguar thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope too! Since I'm in Canada, it might be a lot more difficult to get a preorder delivery on launch day.

10. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Best Buy has been pretty reliable on launch day to have at least some in stock. The past two releases, they were sold out of most of the 16 and 32 but had a few 32 and 64gb sizes in stock.

11. meneguar thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go pretty early at the apple store, is there chances that I can get one?

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The Apple Store app on iOS has never let me down for pre-ordering and/or launch day ordering. I know it may not fit your use case exactly, but it is a good option for anyone looking to obtain a unit on day one.

13. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Best Buy did have inventory of the IPAD2 on release evening. I think it was 6pm and there was a small line. I don't remember how this was announced beforehand.

14. pocketpenguin macrumors regular

I bought two ipad3s on launch day.
    One was at walmart at midnight (walmart was open 24 hours). I went into walmart earlier that day and asked when they would start selling the new iPads. Walmart was convenient because we could wait in line in the electronics department and the employees could count boxes and told people what was left as they got in line.

The other ipad i got at target when it opened at 8 am. Both stores sold out within minutes.

The only downside to both these stores was lack of selection. Each had only two models, the base 16gig wi-fi, and the top end 64gig cellular for AT&T. Both stores had 5 of each type and limited each customer to one ipad per person.

At least two other people were at both stores buying iPads to ship back to family or friends in china. I know because I asked them. Both of them bought the high end models at both stores.

By the way, I returned the ipad unopened, for a full refund, to walmart shortly after my target purchase because I needed only the one and I get a 5% discount at target.

I had planned to camp out at target, but a creepy white panel van circled the lot several times and then parked in a secluded and dark part of the lot. So, I went home and came back an hour before target opened. I was the first in line, but a line formed quickly thereafter.