What is the best way to hook my 2010 MPB up to my TV? Thanks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Hello,

I'd like to hook my 2010 MBP up to my flat screen (from around 2011), in order to use it as a monitor to play some games with a Bluetooth controller. What is the most practical way to do this and keep a good frame rate? Thank you!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable. Apple sells them.

3. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Awesome thank you! For some reason I always thought I needed some sort of adapter for it. Or just thought it was more complicated than this. Thanks.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

It is slightly cheaper if you buy a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. Looks like that Belkin cable runs $45. You can find the adapters for less than $20 at stores like Micro Center.

5. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

KUguardgrl13 is correct. You'll save some money by going the separate pieces route. I will warn you that if you go this way, sometimes the adaptor is a little bit finicky if it gets twisted at all. The one my fiancée picked up from Fry's throws a fit if it twists more than like 30º. Works well enough once we've got whatever site we want set though.

Still cheaper than the all in one route though if looking at established brands like Belkin. Check Amazon, i found a cable going for about $8 with free shipping.

Also, a perk of having just the adapter and supplying your cable is that you can find whatever length you need and have more flexibility in that sense.