What is the best way to locate large files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by guvna, Jul 3, 2011.

1. guvna macrumors newbie

I am running out of room on my hard drive.

I do have an external hard drive so moving the large files over there could be a plan.

How do I locate the big files? Is it possible to open a finder window of all files and order by size?

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I use Disk Inventory or OmniDiskSweeper. I’ve tried the others and find these two are the best.

4. guvna thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Just running Disk Inventory now.

Another question.. my external hard drive was used for backups and I notice there are 4 different folders for each backup I have made. Is it OK to delete the older ones and just keep the latest? Will all files be duplicated in each backup?

Also, I think I will move most of my movie and music library to the external HD. Will itunes still recognise the files when the hard drive is plugged in? What is the best way to do this? Has the backup already made copies of my itunes library?

Sorry if these are stupid questions

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

If it's time machine making your back-ups then these are incremental backups: there's one big back-up of the first time you used it and the others are things you changed over time (so if you only created a document on monday, the back-up of monday will only contain that document).

Check google (because it has been covered several times) on how to relocate your itunes library.