What is the best way to transfer info from New MBP to another new MBP (replacement)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CoolMacDude, Oct 22, 2008.

1. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I am getting a replacement macbook pro because of both a physical flaw and the top row of keys being out of align. I would prefer not to have to pull the drives and swap them. Is there another way to copy the drive to the new computer without pulling the drives?

Can I run firewire 800 between them and use the migration assistant?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

2. tuinte macrumors member

Yeah, you could do a complete migration using Setup/Migration Assistant. Swapping the hard drives, though, is seriously one screw, so you could save yourself an hour. But both would work! Enjoy your new Mac!

-
    Michael

3. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Hi pal, are they letting you keep teh old one then?

I got mine replaced in store for the keyboard issue and upgraded to the 2.53. I simply plugged in my old HDD in t my usb caddy. Plugged it in and voila 210 gigs transfered in less then 2 hours, opposed to 7 hours over ethernet the first time.

If you have firwire 800, you can simply plug it in and it will ask you what you want to transfer over. When you initially set it up.

Though swapping thr HDD would be the quickest by far in your case takes less then two minus all you need is a Philips 00 and a torx T6.
    I used to change drives in all my old machines and used to always hold my breath till it booted back up, my god how easy apple have made it.

4. CoolMacDude thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I spoke to them tonight and ended up having to leave a voicemail because the person that said I would have to speak to is gone. I'm going to call back tomorrow and try to get the person. They keep acting like the waiver doesn't exist. If I have to I'm just going to pay for the new one if it will work on my debit card. Not sure if they will let me charge that amount on the debit card without jumping through hoops. I'll update when I find out something for sure. I have always backed everything up to time machine and then transferred it back but I have a usb 2.0 drive and its slow slow. Old IDE drive in a POS enclosure. I'm eventually going to buy a better backup drive. I have the backup copy to the backup drive for my other computers.

5. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

time machine to an external is probably one of the easiest and best ways. It transfers your programs and you already have your initial time machine backup when your done with the transfer