What is the best Wii game for a Family of 4!?!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by erkanasu, Sep 6, 2007.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

I don't own a console. Today is my mothers birthday (we all live in the same city, im 22, sis 21, and parents ~50's). My Dad surprised me by buying a Nintendo Wii today for us all to play. What would you guys recommend for a good game for a family of four and in the context of us, particularly in the interest of my mom. thanks!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I'm aware that wii sports comes with the system. That good enough? We have 2 controllers btw

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's lots of fun, as is Wii Play. I'm looking to pick up Carnival Games too as it seems to have similar gameplay.

B

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Round robin in Wii Bowling is great for 4 people.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Golf is fun that way too.

The only game I find works best with more controllers is Tennis, though I still only have three controllers).

B

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I find that people have more trouble with accurate swing control in Golf. Bowling is much more consistent.

9. progx macrumors regular

progx

Hahahahaha!!!! Awesome family game :D

Super Mario Strikers is fun. Guaranteed to make you punch your sibblings when you play the Wastelands level.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'll admit golf is a bit more finicky, but it does work quite well with 2 controllers and 4 players, as long as you don'

My wife finds bowling frustrating in that she always ends up applying a curve to the ball when she doesn't mean to so our 6 year old son beats her handily. :p

B

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Mario Party 8 and Super Monkey Ball to name a few.

M8 is fun, but not my favorite. I like MP4 better for evil reasons. It's also a Cube to Wii game, so not everything it could have been.

SMB is weird at first, but after getting used to the controls quite a bit of fun. It was funny watching my friend's nephew throw his entire body during SMB's hammer throw game.

And don't let some insecure teenager come along and say these games are for kiddies.

<]=)

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I had a horrible time with that game. For the life of me I couldn't win the Crystal Cup! So very frustrating, so much so that I'll likely never buy it now. :(

Mario Party 8 is great fun, but if you only have two controllers then that will be a problem as I don't believe you can swap around controllers like you can in Wii Bowling.

Accessories are always in stock now, so I would highly recommend you pick up two more Wiimotes and Mario Party 8.

My wife is unstoppable on the game though, she always just thwomps me even though I nearly always win the mini-games. ;)

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I'm mad that they removed BUTTON-PRESSING. :mad: :( Now I have to shake my Wiimote like a freak and my friends that could never beat me when it comes to repeatedly pressing the button have a chance and win some of the times. :(

At least I win at the the games that require drawing with the Wiimote. :) I always lost with the thumb-tracing games on the previous versions.

<]=)

14. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Ha ha! Yeah, I'm the master of "At The Chomp Wash", but games like the football one are free game.

Yeah, my wife usually beats me at the one where you trace the shapes on the rock.

We always play with the bonus stars on too, but it never matters anyway because when we're not playing as a team she's usually four or five stars ahead at the end anyway. The last time we played she ended with 11 stars to my four, and two of those I stole from Wario in a duel. ;)

But honestly, I don't mind that she kicks my butt. I think it's cool that she has a game that she can mop me up in. :)

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Kind of depends on the family but Wii Sports should have something to please most people. Wii Play is good too but I preferred Sports.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Wait, you actually played the single player? :p

I've never even touched single player alone; you can do the entire single player co-op with four people! Every time I play the game I ALWAYS have a friend over, unless I'm playing online; and even then, when my friends come over we go to the Co-op online mode and random match the two of us against two other people.

It is absolutely THE best co-op and versus game for two to four people on the Wii, and probably any platform. It's up there with Smash Bros.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait, so Charged Strikers can have up to 4 players? This I didn't know :D

18. Poopface Morty macrumors regular

Poopface Morty

I've heard great things about Mario Strikers. Also, if you can afford to wait, or just want to get this in addition to Strikers, Smash Bros Brawl will probably be THE game to get.

19. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I know it's a lot more fun with more people, but in order for me to buy a game (at least one that my wife doesn't care for) it has to have great single player action as well as multi-player.

I only rented it, so I didn't have an opportunity to have a friend over to play it with me, so I didn't get to enjoy the wonders of multi-player.

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Four players on one team or split up (1 v 3, 2 v 2, etc) :D

Better yet, you can take one friend with you when you play online!

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ah yes, we have done that! My sister is really good at passing where I'm good at defence and offence. Makes for a good online team :)

But 4 other players? I really didn't know that. Gonna have to organise a game now!

22. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Might as well add to the list:

You can probably scrounge around for a copy of Rayman Raving Rabbids for $30. (The sequel's coming soon, though, and it looks to be a lot better.)

Mario Party might be worth a look, but I'd check a few trailers first - it's not for everyone.

Madden's fun, but the learning curve is really high initially (which I mercilessly took advantage of by literally running over my friends in Rushing Attack.)

23. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

My wife just rented Rayman and absolutely loved it! I think it's the first game she has ever "finished" without my help. I was so proud of her. ;)

Anyway, that's good to know about the sequel. She enjoyed it so much that I was thinking of picking it up, but now I'll just wait until the sequel.

I'm playing Madden '08 right now, and the learning curve took me a few games to really get it down, but now I'm having a blast with it! I'm going through on Franchise Mode right now, but I'm only in week three being as I just started it earlier today.

I don't think I would recommend Madden for a family though, unless they're all football nuts, but Rayman I would definitely recommend! :D

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Haha, my sister could beat everything on Rayman except the dancing stages, she just couldn't do them. Since one out of every five levels was a dancing stage, every fifth stage she had to get me over to beat it for her.