What is the cause of the bulges on my 17" MBP 2010? Is the unibody case fragile?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Feb 29, 2012.

1. hajime, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

hajime macrumors 68040

Hello. Today, I noticed that on both sides of a corner, there are bulges. Anybody knows the cause for sure? I showed it to a dealer. At first, he thinks that the bulges are caused by the drop. Then, he mentioned that this is also where the batteries are located. He was not sure about the cause and asked me to send it to the Apple for a second opinion...Thanks.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

it was the drop. thats not from the swelling.
    Metal is soft and bends/bends.

If the airline dropped it, you could probably file a claim (or through insurance)

3. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yep. Now if only the OP were on an plane when it happened...

4. hajime, Feb 29, 2012

hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

At this stage, what can I do? If I leave it as is, will the situation gets worse?

----------

I think the case of my Thinkpad was made of Titanium. So, the current cases for the unibody MBPs are not strong enough? As I mentioned, I have seem damages of several unibody MBPs in some stores.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

They're plenty strong. It's not designed to be dropped. If you want a computer that takes a drop better look at Panasonic Toughbooks.

It's called "accidental damage" and you're correct in thinking it's not covered by Apple. I feel for you, I'd be upset if it happened to mine.

6. tarponbeach macrumors member

I totally feel for you, but they don't seem to like being dropped. A friend had a similar issue last week. His MacBook Air was in a case inside of his backpack. Fell off his shoulder and on to concrete. Not pretty. More damage than yours has.

This is why I bought a Square Trade policy in lieu of AppleCare, as ST offers accidental damage coverage.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

unfortunately it was the drop ... hope you don't develop issues with it

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

While the bulge that the bottom case has could also be caused by a swelling battery, the fractures on the corner and on the side are clearly from either fall damage or from some other force that was applied to it.

I would even claim that it was most likely dropped without any protective layer between the MBP and the ground. Maybe the foam layer slipped away.

The aluminum unibody of the MBP absorbs most of the energy of the fall. This provides some protection for the interior, but results in very ugly deformations of the exterior body.

Thinkpads are build more robust, and are designed mostly with people in mind who value function higher than form and design.

9. hajime, Mar 1, 2012

It is very important to get a protective bag/case. Which one do you recommend?

10. hajime, Mar 3, 2012

Why Apple does not use Titanium to make the unibody MBPs?

I have also seen several disfigured unibody MBPs in various stores. Why Apple does not use Titanium to make the case? I suppose that if they want, they can make a good looking Titanium case for the MBPs as well.

11. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Aluminum is light, cheap, is easy to cast, machine and dissipates heat well. Unfortunately yes it is soft and scratches easy. Titanium doesn't fit a lot on that list.

Tom Bihn Brain Cell protects well.

12. hajime thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't know about this product.

Does the Speck SeeThru Satin protect well?