What is the cheapest way to get Macbook air; besides best buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Meylis, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Meylis macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm traveling to USA next week (hopefully) and planning to get my first mac :D.
    I searched online for good deals and found best buy to be the best choice. However, MBA 13'' base model used to be $899 with student discount. It is $949 now. Does anyone know a better deal?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you get student discount, then I'd go with that. I get a fairly generous discount from Apple, but my fiancee's SD beats it hands down, plus you get free AC as well.

3. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

If you want a new 2013, then go student discount via Apple.com.

If you don't care if it's an older MacBook Air (2011, 2012), then go to Apple's Refurbished page. Refurbs are just as good, if not, even better than brand new.

4. Meylis, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm ... Looks like I'm gonna have to find two students to buy for me; 'cuz I'm trying to get one for my twin too.

5. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

ebay also sells student codes

6. cedwhatev macrumors 6502

cedwhatev

I got mine on Student Discount on Apple.com and they didn't ask for anything. :D

7. triple-tap macrumors 6502

honestly, the BestBuy deal is gonna be the best one available right now.

I would even consider buying it now and have it as an "in store pick-up" in case prices go up before you get here. Macbook Pro, Retina, and Air prices could potentially change every Sunday at BestBuy.

I think the BestBuy offer beats Apple's price for the following reason:

Apple Student discount:
    13" / i5 / 4 gb / 128ssd = $1049 + tax
    + free $100 itunes/app store gift card.

BestBuy student discount :
    13" / i5 / 4 gb / 128ssd = $949 + tax
    no additional gift card.

If you want to spend the $100 in the app store, go for it. But with the BestBuy option, at least you don't HAVE to spend the $100 at the app store. And you could use that $100 towards an office for mac package (365 vs. actual home and student, w/e you prefer).
    Plus, you don't pay tax on the $100 difference.

The $100 savings at best buy may also come into play if you are dealing with any type of tax at customs when you return home.

EDIT: again, assuming you can get the student code thing.

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

free apple care? i don't think so my friend. it's $180 with the student discount.

9. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Actually, today and tomorrow, Best Buy has all of the Airs on sale for $100 off retail. So with the BB student discount:

13" / i5 / 4 gb / 128ssd = $899 + tax
    no additional gift card.

10. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I agree with you. Will I still have to pay taxes if I buy online (best buy)? I'll be in Rochester, Minnesota.

----------

man, I wish I was in US right now. Are u sure the deal is for two days only?

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Nevada, Texas, Oregon NO SALES TAX, but technically if ur from overseas can claim it back?

12. triple-tap macrumors 6502

Even better deal. Two days ago it was $949. I'd definitely be all over that sir. You Really REALLY need to order the macbook air, and at checkout, select pickup in the best buy store that you are going to be near next week. They will hold it for you until you get there. I believe it is like two weeks or something.

13. Meylis thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm flying there on 26th of August which is next Saturday. If the deal is gonna be for two weeks, then I'd better buy when I get there. :)

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Remember to take it out of the box and ship the box separately or your home custom will want a piece of the action.

15. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Best Buy will hold your order for 1 week, not 2 (like someone else posted). I know because I just ordered something there this week.

Through tomorrow, the MacBook Airs are back to the $100 discounted price ($899 for 11" base and $999 for 13" base models). Grab a student discount code off ebay for less than $5 (or from the best buy website if you have an .edu - Link), and save an extra $100.

16. triple-tap macrumors 6502

actually... ya wrong.

If you order the item online and select pick up at the store, you will have 8 days to pickup the order. BUT if you take the extraordinarily difficult step of calling that store and asking them to hold a few extra days, they are willing to do so for up to 8 additional days.

Hence.... ya wrong.

17. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

So 1 week by default (7 full days after you place your order), 2 weeks IF you call them. You didn't specify that, so even though you may have been right, technically you're wrong. :cool:

18. triple-tap macrumors 6502

well, you said that BestBuy WILL NOT hold the order for two week. Therefore, you are wrong.

I said that I believe BestBuy will hold your item for two weeks. 1) avoiding absolute statements, and 2) suggesting that the OP should investigate further by customer support or calling BestBuy.

oh yeah... you are still wrong btw.

19. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Hmm, well your face is wrong. :p:cool:

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

This 100% depends on the store. DO NOT DEPEND ON SOME TEENAGER ON THE PHONE!

21. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

This is true. They'll hold it as long as you would like them to. It's at the discretion of the manager, just be polite and they'll usually work out something for you.