What is the current capacity of the battery of your Macbook Pro with Retina Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tau101, Aug 5, 2012.

1. tau101, Aug 5, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012

tau101 macrumors member

Hi Forum,

Would those of you with rMBPs please post your current capacities? Mine is currently listed as design capacity = 8460mAH, and current capacity = 8746mAH (i.e. > 100% design capacity/health). I am trying to determine if this is standard or exceptional.

My motive for asking is that I am considering having this model replaced due to defective pixels and want to get a feel for the probability that I would end up with a replacement with an inferior battery.

Thank you in advance.

Edit - I use the applications coconutBattery and iStat Menus to monitor the health of my macbook batteries. Please find links to these applications below.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/ - coconutBattery
    http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ - iStat Menus

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. tau101 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware that a capacity greater than design would be considered normal. However, I am not sure of the relative incidence of receiving a battery with below design capacity vs above design capacity.

My last Macbook Pro arrived with health 95% of design capacity, and after 3 years has fallen to 40%. I would still find it very useful if people were willing to post their current capacities, despite the very useful link you provided.

Thanks again.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It won't help to compare to other batteries, as everyone's battery health may begin at slightly different percentages and decline at different rates. Everyone's use habits are different, so their battery health will vary accordingly. You can collect the data, but it's pretty much useless for determining what your battery health or life will be. Also, your battery life isn't dependent on your initial battery health (capacity). There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the the Battery FAQ for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

5. tau101, Aug 5, 2012

tau101 thread starter macrumors member

My usage is a variable I am aware of, and in control of. I am aware of its impact on the health and life of battery charge. I am still interested in the variance in the starting point, i.e. the initial capacities of the batteries. I do not believe this information is useless.

Thanks again for trying to help.

I do hope, however, that when I am next notified of a response to this thread I will find someone has posted a current capacity :)

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not just your usage that's a variable. It's others' usage. Asking what others' initial battery health was is somewhat akin to asking people how many miles were on their car when they first bought them, because the last car you bought had 200 miles on it and after 3 years it broke down at 40,000 miles. Others may start with more or less miles, but due to variances in their driving and maintenance habits, their experiences won't give you any useful estimates on what you can expect from your car.

I leave you to collect data, if you wish, but it's only fair to let you know you won't gain anything useful from it.

7. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Yeah, I sure find these battery capacity things to be useful. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Mine ranges between 93 and 97%, normally about 96% though.

9. tau101, Aug 5, 2012

tau101 thread starter macrumors member

There is a very significant difference in the variance in usage impacts between my possible usages over the whole lifetime of the computer and the possible usages of a battery that could have, at earliest, been obtained 2 months ago.

I am not interested in using the information to determine the lifetime of my battery; I am interested in discovering what current capacities people have. It seemed like such a simple question when I asked it.

I noted your points the first time you made them. Please if you won't help don't clutter this thread by repeating yourself and trying to undermine my question.

Thank you.

10. Xcelerate macrumors regular

If I were to guess, I would say you are a technical major? (And everyone else in this thread is liberal arts?)

My battery's full capacity charge is 8488 mAh. So it seems like yours is above the norm. This is a good question you asked.

11. ender land macrumors 6502a

This is an interesting question.

I wonder how they measure that, anyways.

12. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

You know, when asking people to do you a favour, you might tell them how to obtain the information you need, particularly when it requires a third-party app you don't even mention.

13. tau101 thread starter macrumors member

This is an excellent point. I had not considered that people who did not actively monitor the health of their battery would be so willing to go out of their way to help :)

I use the applications coconutBattery and iStat Menus to monitor the health of my macbook batteries. Please find links to these applications below.

http://www.coconut-flavour.com/ - coconutBattery
    http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ - iStat Menus

Many thanks.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Pic attached

Attached Files:

15. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

16. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Weird, it says my macbook is 6-weeks old and I got it 2-weeks ago. Says it's been charged 13 times. :mad:

17. Engan macrumors member

Engan

Hi everyone!
    It seams alot of you get higher capacity of the battery after a while using the computer. For me it's the opposite. Please look at the picture attached.
    What do you think about this? Is this something I should be worried about or let it be....

Thanx in advance!

Attached Files:

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the 2nd post of this thread.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Keep trying to teach them to fish GCJ, they'll pick it up one of these days....

20. ibd macrumors member

Mine is 8853 mAh, as reported by Coconut battery, about 4.6% over design capacity.

Glad I'm on this end of the production variance gauss curve. ;)