What is the current situation with the current iPhone (1.0) re: prepaid/month-to-mont

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djohn, Jul 7, 2008.

1. djohn macrumors newbie

Longest thread title ever.

Now for the longest OP:

Basically, because of some bad history with AT&T (forgot about my last bill during the college years, they didn't have my new address, etc), I'm off the invite list for iPhone 3G.

So, I have a friend who will take pity and sell me her iPhone 1.0 for $200 to cover the cost of the 3G.

So as I remember it, there were two no-contract options for iPhone 1.0:

a) fail the credit check in itunes, select a month-to-month plan.

- what are these like now? they're still around, right?
    - will the data plan be itemized on the bill/receipt? (so i can expense it through work)

b) jailbreak the phone and use a GoPhone sim with the "MediaNet" data plan

- will the "MediaNet" data plan work with a jailbroken iphone?
    - will this plan give access to EDGE? (read something about EDGE connection getting broken with 1.1.3
    - will the data plan be itemized etc. (i'm guessing it will be, just looking for confirmation

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions, support, donations, etc.

2. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I'm still on the prepaid iPhone plan right now. That's what I was directed to when I activated through iTunes. There is no receipt or monthly mailing as far as I know (I can't recall if I opted out of something like that during the signup process). AT&T sends me a text message each month saying that the charge has been taken from my card, and I can also look up the account online at the GoPhone site.

I know nothing about the unlocking and how well that works, so I can't recommend it. So they told you no iPhone 3G even with a deposit? I went in and did the credit check early, and they're offering me $100 deposit. I dunno, I think if I were in your position, I would wait and get an unlocked 3G from another country like Italy and then just use it either on AT&T or T-Mobile.

3. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get the 3G at $199 with contract, but only with an $800 deposit refunded after one year. And if god-forbid, something happened, I would lose the 800.

I'm not gonna buy their trust back, and I've been waiting too long to get an iPhone. So, EDGE it is.

Do you know the price points of the official pay as you go plans?

I'm sure I could find something online that I could print and submit for reimbursement.

4. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yes, actually the plans for the "Pick Your Plan" prepaid, as it's called, are $10 cheaper than the regular plans, but you get less. The plan I am on now is $49 ($29 + $20 for iPhone data), and you get 300 anytime minutes, but no nights and weekends, and no mobile to mobile. These plans also don't include the text messages if I remember correctly, because I had to put the $5 for 200 texts onto my plan to get any texts. My final bill each month is $60 and some cents including the taxes and fees. So actually pretty reasonable for an iPhone. If I was smart, I would keep this plan and not upgrade to the 3G for probably $25 more per month, but alas, there is this thing called the Reality Distortion Field.....

But yes, the rates for the prepaid are the "Pick Your Plan" rates + $20 for iPhone data + any text plan.

5. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Well then put in your ssn and fail the credit check and it will give u go phone plans instead.

6. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds like a winner to me. I probably never use more than 60 minutes of talk time each month.

Last question: do you have some form of bill or receipt, online or in print, that shows the amount you paid for the unlimited data? I just need something to submit for reimbursement. Work only covers data, unfortunately.

7. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

when your prepaid no all you have is account history which shows every phone call and data connection and sms :/

8. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds crazy. You are doing a transaction on a monthly basis. There has to be record of it that you can have access to. It's called a receipt.

9. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

Omg! That's a HUGE deposit! Are you serious?

10. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

No you cannot and also when you go to the store and ask for a call history they will refuse. And your thing you call a receipt is your debit card,credit card, or check payment statement.

11. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

For serious.

My credit wasn't great before, and now I'm a victim of credit fraud. Still cleaning it up.

12. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

i never did understood why there is a reason for deposits like cant they just cut off your phone when ur late on your first months bill and limit how much money you can spend on the phone. and i bet you they will cut off the phone on the second month of being late the bill i doubt will reach 800 dollars.

13. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is, they don't want to cut you off for being late a month or two and stop taking payments. They want to lock you into a contract so they can make sure that they get at least $1,500 from you in the long run. In fact, I figure they would continue to bill you for the full 2 years without a single payment, so they can at least make some money from selling the debt. To do this, they check your history to make sure that they're actually going to get that money.

For those who they suspect might not pay up the full $1500+, they offer the GoPhone.

14. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

What's frustrating is that the deposit doesn't go toward your payments. If they asked for $800 to stick in the bank and withdraw my monthly payments FROM, I'd play along.

15. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

atleast you get intrest :( but umm what happens if you dont pay the bill do they like deduct that from the 800 i think im about to put down a deposit as long as it doesnt pass 250 bucks

16. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I think they just get to keep the $800, and continue to bill you / do you from behind.

Gotta love the free market!

Anyway, thanks all for your help. Now I just have to wait for the 3G to come out, as none of my friends are going to give up their Edge models any time before then.

17. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I'm on the exact same plan. Couldn't be happier with it. No contract, in case at&t do something incredibly dumb, I can just walk away.

The new iPhone would be nice, but there is no 3G coverage where I live, and $199+$800 is way too much money for GPS.

18. djohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I will most likely bump up to the $39 base, all my calls are mobile to mobile.

I wonder if GoPhone plans are going to offer exchange support?