What is the deal with chargers for the iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrVali, Jul 23, 2008.

1. DrVali macrumors newbie

I don't understand why certain chargers give the error "This Device is Not Authorized to Charge this Device". What is up with that?

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's all a bit curious. I've been experimenting with my new iPhone and all my old accessories.

*FireWire is no longer supported for charging which the old USB transfer only iPods were

*My iTrip is deemed incompatible.

*All my USB chargers work (even non apple ones).

*My girlfriends alarm clock with iPod dock is flagged up by the iPhone but still works fine.

3. firewood macrumors 604

Older iPods had two charging pins, one low voltage, one high voltage. Some old chargers use one, some the other. Cheap car chargers for the iPod used the high voltage pin because it could be built with cheaper or less parts.

Apple removed the high voltage Firewire charging pin from their new iPhone 3G (probably to slightly improve cost, size and heat issues); thus old chargers that use that pin that instead of the newer lower voltage USB pin won't work.

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I bought a couple cheap sync/charge cables off eBay ($2.95 w/free shipping) and neither will charge (but they sync fine).

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I added a solar skin to the back of my iphone and leave it face down on my dash while driving to charge it and it works great.

6. Spongey817 macrumors regular

Read my thread (Two interesting iPhone 3G observations) as I have commented on this issue.

7. Honest Truth macrumors member

I KNOW! I was just about to make a thread on this! The only charger that will charge my iPhone is the one that came with the phone. Nothing else will work for it, not even stereo systems.

My wi-fi network doesn't work on my new iPhone either... Why is nothing compatable?!

8. slate1 macrumors regular

Be aware as well that in addition to not charging over the Firewire pin configuration, the iPhone 3G REQUIRES that the charger be rated at 1A (1 amp) in order to charge a fully discharged iPhone.

Many of the available 3rd party chargers are only rated at 500mA (or .5 amps) and, while they will charge a battery that is not been run all the way down, they will not charge a battery from a completely drained state.

9. slate1 macrumors regular

If your wi-fi is 802.11n then it won't work - you need an 802.11 b/g connection with the iPhone.

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

802.11n is backward compatible with b/g unless this feature has been disabled on the router. the router will connect to the iphone

11. Alphanumeric macrumors member

The iPhone 3G is the first Apple product I've bought and seeing things like this reassures why I only have one Apple product...

This really seems more like an intentional software block to force customers into re-buying accessories. So, much for that price drop...

12. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

My BlackBerry does exactly the same thing. I've concluded that some devices must require a slightly different (higher voltage or amperage) charge and only the charger that came with those devices is designed to meet this requirement.

13. Honest Truth macrumors member

It's a 802.11b router.

On my old iPhone, it worked.

14. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Where did you purchase your solar skin from for your iPhone?

15. slate1 macrumors regular

That's not totally accurate - you can run many 802.11n routers in dual-band mode to accommodate b/g devices. However, enabling that feature on every consumer 802.11n router I've worked with will reduce the overall speed of the network to the slowest of the b/g connected devices.

The poster said that his was an 802.11b, however, so I'm not sure what the problem could be if he was able to connect with a 1st gen phone.

16. slate1 macrumors regular

Just some quick obvious thoughts, is your router set to broadcast the SSID? If not, you'll have to manually type in the name of the network to join it - it won't find it automatically. Is it finding the network but not able to join? Are you able to join other Wi-fi networks? Give some more details.

17. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Hopefully alpine or apple comes out with an adaptor, as my radio has the full speed connection that used to charge the phone. Now it just plays the music. With the new 3g phone, I need the ability to charge it in the car.

There has to be some female ipod adaptor to male end again that converts the power from firewire pins to USB pins.

18. Honest Truth macrumors member

I'm not sure about the SSID part, but it is able to find the wi-fi network. But when I try to join it, I get an error message, " Unable to join wireless network."

I've never had to do anything really complicated to join my wireless network before.

19. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

This really seems more like an intentional software block to force customers into re-buying accessories. So, much for that price drop...[/QUOTE]

Statements like this are uneducated and really only show that you don't know what Apple has to offer you nor are you interested in finding out, rather you make a blanket statement that has no real credibility.

20. DrVali thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.

The way it is worded on the phone makes it sound like the devices have to be approved by Apple to charge the phone. It's very frustrating, as this is my first experience with the iPhone, and the first charger I bought I had to return to the store. The second charger said iPhone compatible, and worked the first time, but my wife said something about it complaining yesterday.

It was a Belkin something - I checked it online in Wal-Mart with the iPhone prior to buying it and it said it worked. I'll have to check the message later today when I've got my wife and her car.

Either way, the warning message should have an option to disable it... Do you know of a setting that can do that?

21. Alphanumeric macrumors member

So, what is your educated guess on why chargers worked for the 1st gen iPhone, but are now longer working on the new iPhone 3G?