What is the definitive answer on Power Draw and charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chefwong, Oct 1, 2012.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

Read many conflicting reports.
    WILL a iphone charge Faster via a car charger --- 2.1 Amp rated or will it still only DRAW.5 amps on it's provided cable.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If the iPhone had a fast-charge feature (highly desirable) don't u think they advertise it?

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

iPhones charge at either 500mA or at 1A depending upon the charger.
    If the charger was built according to Apple's standards then the charger will tell the phone what it's capable of and the iPhone will draw accordingly.
    But there is no 2.1A setting in the iPhone -- only 1A or 500mA.

4. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Anybody else having an issue where the battery won't charge if its too hot? Happened today while i was driving. It would recognize that it's plugged in but it would stay at a certain percentage.

5. A420Turbo macrumors member

+1 same thing happened to me yesterday charging my iPhone 5 while using tomtom. The battery icon in the top right corner showed the plug icon while the charge was only about 64 and stayed that way even after I closed tomtom. I had to manually unplug the phone and re plug it back in to get it charging again... Other than that phone is great my luck I'd get a replacement with much worse problems

Attached Files:

6. Abandapart82 macrumors member

Yup, exactly what was happening to me. I was using waze while driving and my iPhone 5 got really hot and the battery icon changed to what your pic shows.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It can, yes, as an iPad charger can charge an iPhone faster than the iPhone charger :)

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Nope.
    Placebo effect.
    You just think it can.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yep - If it's overheating the iPhone will first stop charging, then if that doesn't solve it, shut down completely:
    http://wackao.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/HT1871_1.jpg