What is the Diff Between AT&T Unlock & Factory Unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so read AT&T will start unlocking phones? My question is does this become like a factory unlock, so you can sell anywhere?

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

No, I believe it is only internationally unlocked. Meaning that you can take it overseas and put a local sim card in and have it work.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

This is incorrect. Thats only on Verizon and Sprint. It's basically the same as a factory unlocked phone on AT&T.

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Hmmm..Did not know that. Lean something new everyday.

5. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap! Permanent unlocked. I just got my 2 original iphone refurbished new unlocked by att, and i called sat! :D

6. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Old news

Apple started unlocking att iphone 4S when you buy it with its off contract price since its launch.

Basically, the difference is that ATT units doesn't have sim ejector tool inside the box but its very much unlocked. (I'm using my ATT boxed iPhone 4S bought at off contract price here in the philippines with no problems)

Previous generation owners dating back to the original iphone can request their devices to be unlocked by ATT for free and this unlock will equal the unlocked state of factory unlocked iPhones being sold.

7. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Not really old news, in the way that yes you can buy a phone for full Price and get it unlocked from Apple here in the US, but this will let folks who are now off their 2 year contract unlock their phone, in my case I have a spare iPhone 4 which can now be unlocked and I can keep it for when I leave the USA.

So understanding your point yes, you can buy one, but AT&T never allowed you to unlock it, even after your contract expired, so this part is new news.

Good to know the Unlocking AT&T does is like factory unlocked now, another great reason to love AT&T :D

8. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

You mean, the first reason ever to kind of like AT&T?

9. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Matter of opinion, AT&T has been great to me, and I have had a great experience with them, far better then I did with my 2 years on Sprint, and 7 years on Verizon.

If others have not had such a good experience then I understand, but VZ blows in many ways for me, and Sprint, well I would rather not have a phone then to go back on that ancient network ever again.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

No doubt I am not leaving AT&T as I have full bars most the time and seldom have dropped calls, it has been months.

Sprint is not even an option from what my friends on Sprint say. Verizon would be my choice if I DID leave AT&T.

11. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i hear that.

darn you att keeping me hooked with your fast data speeds!

i had sprint for a moment on the 4s, the voice quality is ten folds better. like listening to a 64kbps mp3 and a 320kbps. But their data was insanely slow