what is the difference in photoshop from adobe and the one in the app store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jeff4h, Dec 24, 2011.

1. jeff4h macrumors newbie

I am just getting started in photo editing. I can't afford almost seven hundred for adobe photoshop. What is the difference in photoshop in the app store. It is so much cheaper

2. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

The one in the App Store is "Ps Elements." It is more like an entry level version. It doesn't have all of the advanced features of "Ps Extended." It is still good for basic photo editing and resizing. If you want something for free that is closer to the extended version but not quite, you may want to try "Gimp."

3. seniorgeek macrumors member

I woud recommend that you check out Adobe Lightroom, an excellent photo organizing editing program, it is available for a trial run also. It is built primarily for digital photo editing, Photoshop may be an overkill for this, I believe LR will do everything you need it to do for photo editing. Do a Google for it and see all the helpful sites there are for it. Just my 2 cents!

4. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Don't try Gimp. It's awful.

5. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

Hey, it's free? I'm not endorsing it.:cool:

6. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Free doesn't mean good though. I'm a graphic artist and I would stay away from GIMP.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Pixelmator is great; not free, but no where near as expensive as Photoshop.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

For someone who is asking the difference between PS and PS Elements, PS Elements is a great software to start with. I am not a fan of the free or semi-free software programs out there.

----------

FYI - there is a digital photography section on this board. Digital Photography

9. Charcoalwerks macrumors regular

Charcoalwerks

I'm a graphic artist too and I also stay away from Gimp. But, from what I remember it was okay for basic photo editing. It's been five years or so since I fooled with it so I really don't even know how it is now.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Last time I used GIMP it was terrible. Opens all these seperate windows all over the desktop. Awful UI.

11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for hating Gimp.

Don't get me wrong, I always appreciate open source software but there is good open source and there is bad open source and gimp is a bad open source program.

Sure it works but as others have said its horrible UI kills it.

Pixelmator is a great app and its a lot cheaper than Photoshop and has a very large amount of PS's capabilities and is actually a lot faster.

I have both PS and Pixelmator and while a majority of my work is done in PS (for 3D work) I still use Pixelmator for a lot.

A poster above mentioned Lightroom but unless you are shooting raw images then Lightroom may not benefit you as its more of an organization and raw workflow program. It has basic retouching elements but if you are new to photography it may not be for you. (Also Apple's version of Lightroom which is Aperture is a lot cheaper than Lightroom and I actually prefer Aperture.)

12. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

BACK ON TOPIC:

I would reccomend you get either Photoshop Elements (Like said, a dumbed-down easier to use version of Photoshop) or Pixelmator (A *great* program to use that's on about the same level of Photoshop Elements.) They are both really really good. Aperture might work out but it's bare-bones editing (touch-ups, color balance, etc.) but still a great program.

Do not use GIMP, EVER. I MEAN EVER. It's just hell.

13. seniorgeek macrumors member

I use Lightroom everyday and it is way more then a basci photo editing program.

14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Both Aperture and Lightroom are photo management programs and if you have any reasonable size collection of photos... they are great.

Like many people... back in my PC days I would store my pictures in windows folders organized by year, with subfolders by events. After using A3, I have to laugh at the way I used to organize my folders.

The "old way" (using folders) is a way to "store" pictures. Using A3 or Lightroom is a way to "use" pictures. The difference is stunning.

Both LR or A3 are great programs. I like A3 better, but that is mostly based on my analysis prior to starting. All of my real work has been in A3. As far as I am concerned, using A3 is a good enough reason by itself to switch from PCs to Macs.

/Jim

15. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Gimp is pretty damn bad, id say ps elements was worth the cost

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

For photo retouching I agree but many people who are just starting out will try all kinds of tutorials they see that are often more than what Lightroom can do.