Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wafflebird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Hey folks, new here and new to Mac OsX as well. I am just before going out the door to buy some burnable DVD's and I want to back up all my pictures onto a DVD. I know this may be a noob question but I am still adjusting to the new OS (although everything thus far has been a dream as I just picked up two nights ago a 17" MBP 2.4 GHZ) but I am just wanting a quick do this and this type of answer if possible. Once I do it once then I should be good to go. I only have the standard software and would like to learn how to do with the included apps first. Thanks in advance.:cool:

Wafflebird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Into the trash and osX will burn them huh?

That just soud strange is all I will say...... if true thank you, if not, I sure hope this is a good humored joke, not trying to trash somebody for being new.:eek:

lowfat

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB, CAN
I haven't used iPhoto for a while, but if the library isn't too big you could just copy the entire iPhoto Library from ~/Pictures/iPhoto Library to a burn folder and click burn.

insert the DVD. drag the folders containing the pictures onto the DVD image in the finder. Drag the DVD to the trash and OS X will burn them.

:eek: I worked for AppleCare for well over a year and did not know that dragging to disc to the trash can worked.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
That just soud strange is all I will say...... if true thank you, if not, I sure hope this is a good humored joke, not trying to trash somebody for being new.:eek:

No no, he is absolutely correct - no one here on MacRumors would ever be deceitful like that, especially to a new user - that's not the kind of community we have here! :)

Just try it - when you start dragging, you'll notice the trash icon turns into a burn icon. This is all accomplished through Disk Utility, which is included with OS X.

Wafflebird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks and I really meant no offense

Thanks a lot. I did not think I was being steered incorrectly but it just sounded strange. My God I still can't believe how many pictures we have, nearly 5 gigs (I know probably a lot smaller than a lot of you guys and gals but WOW) this is from 2 Windows based computers and I just want to have a fail-safe back up as there are pictures from our wedding, our Son from birth on and a lot of others from vacations, honeymoon etc., and I really wanted to make a couple of back-ups so no matter what we will have them. I am still new to OsX and still find it a little awkward as I am only into my second day but this thing is a beast. I still have to transfer my wife's iPod over to this as well. You want to talk about slow, our old laptop takes about 1:27 mins. to open up I tunes once it has been double clicked. Dinosaur to say the least.

Thanks again everybody.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
No problem at all. If you have any other questions, just ask. Well, actually, try searching the Forums first, as mnay common questions have been asked and answered multiple times here. ;) But if you don't find an answer, just post it and we'll do our best to assist.

Another option you might want to explore in the future is acquiring an external hard drive for back-up purposes and taking advantage of the Time Machine functionality which will be present in OS X 10.5 Leopard due out at the end of October. It's going to be a very slick back-up utility from the looks of it.

Otherwise, for now, you can also consider 2 other excellent apps - Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper. Neither is free, but they are both excellent apps, especially the latter in my opinion. :cool:

Wafflebird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
BSL4 Guy and Shard Thanks

First off BSL4 thank you and I meant no insult it just seemed weird to me that is what you needed to do, and Shard thanks for backing him up. I was able copy all of them to a DVD just for back-up. I must say that I was blown away at how quickly this thing moved massive amounts of data to the burn folder, and looking at istatpro this thing was not even working but man this thing books. I REALLY want to thank you guys for helping me out and I LOVE this computer. :cool:

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Wow, what a terrible design!

I dunno. It's confusing to new people at first, but you also know that anytime you want to get something out or off of your computer, you head for the trash can... disc image removal? Trash can. Pop out that DVD you're done with? Trash can.

If there was no visual feedback to the process (i.e., the trash can stayed a trash can for all of these functions), it would be a terrible design - but since the icon changes based on what you're doing (ejecting, burning, trashing), I think it works out just fine...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
First off BSL4 thank you and I meant no insult it just seemed weird to me that is what you needed to do, and Shard thanks for backing him up. I was able copy all of them to a DVD just for back-up. I must say that I was blown away at how quickly this thing moved massive amounts of data to the burn folder, and looking at istatpro this thing was not even working but man this thing books. I REALLY want to thank you guys for helping me out and I LOVE this computer. :cool:

No problem at all, glad everything worked for you and that you're satisfied with the results. if you have any other questions, just ask. :cool:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Wafflebird I wanted to add the following to the discussion.

insert the DVD. drag the folders containing the pictures onto the DVD image in the finder. Drag the DVD to the trash and OS X will burn them.
Yep BSL4 Guy is correct.

No no, he is absolutely correct - no one here on MacRumors would ever be deceitful like that, especially to a new user - that's not the kind of community we have here! :)
As ~Shard~ our MR Bastard (you can look it up someday) says, we on MR would never do this to a new user such as yourself.

No problem at all. If you have any other questions, just ask. Well, actually, try searching the Forums first, as mnay common questions have been asked and answered multiple times here. ;) But if you don't find an answer, just post it and we'll do our best to assist.
We do appreciate you looking up possible solutions, but will always lend a hand when needed.

Lastly, I would like to add for those who do not wish to drag your CD/DVD to the trash can to burn it. Which I might add is not the most intuitive. After you drag your files/folders to the CD/DVD icon you can do one of the two alternatives:

A. Double click on the CD/DVD icon. The Finder opens a new window on the desktop to show the contents. At the top right of the window, click on the BURN button.

B. Highlight the CD/DVD icon by clicking on it once. Then go to FILE menu and select BURN DISC... which is towards the bottom of the menu.

So now you have three ways to burn a data (backup) CD/DVD.

BTW, glad to hear that you are backing up your photos. Great idea! :)

Adrian3300

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
You can also back up your photos from within iphoto. Just select the photos you want to copy to dvd, then on the bottom right of the screen just select burn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.