What is the easiest way to put movies on new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by littleman18, Mar 31, 2012.

1. littleman18 macrumors member

I have tried many ways and the quality is poor ! If I find the best easiest way I will be happy to convert the videos for people but I just need to know how

2. azure247 macrumors 6502

maybe because your video are not 1080p so of course it turns out poor anyway

3. cinca macrumors regular

I would recommend avoiding conversion entirely and just using one of several great video playing apps to play it in whatever format you have it in currently. I would personally recommend AVPlayerHD. It supports a wide variety of formats including formats not officially approved by the Apple iOS 5 and, in my opinion, has the best quality playback.

Conversion takes time and a fair degree of knowledge and expertise to do well. Additionally, since the goal of conversion is too often make smaller file sizes frequently degrades the quality of the video. This is why you may have noticed for playback quality.

Getting videos (or any file for that matter) into an app is always the same if you use iTunes. Connect your iPad to your computer running iTunes and select your iPad in the devices menu then select the general tab (I think? Anyone?) and then scroll down to the bottom to see the list of apps installed on your iPad, select that app and then drag the file from your desktop or directory into that app and it will copy it over.

I found a video on iTunes which does a fairly good job of illustrating the process. It uses CineXPlayer player (also a pretty decent video playback app) but the process is the same for all apps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAI2V5q-4Bs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Many of the video apps (AV player HD included) also allow you to copy files directly by starting an http server or FTP server and accessing your iPad over the Wi-Fi network. This is slower but not so slow that it wouldn't work for a movie or two. However, if you are looking to transfer over a whole bunch of movies or very large multigigabyte movies I would recommend the iTunes method.

4. littleman18 thread starter macrumors member

I'll have a go at this after work thanks and must my films are divx because I play them using my ps3

5. cinca macrumors regular

AVPlayerHD and CineXPlayer player are both great at playing back divx movies. I think they're also both relatively cheap (just a few bucks each) so if AVplayer HD isn't your cup of tea maybe want to give Cinexplayer try.

Good luck!

6. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

Just remember that none of these apps use hardware (GPU) decoding. They rely on the CPU only so play will drain your battery faster. Plus they won't do 1080p smoothly.

7. littleman18 thread starter macrumors member

I using the avplayerHD on my iPad and it plays all the divx movies I have perfectly and it only cost me £1.99 :) there not high quality but worth it and I can watch them while on my journeys thanks

8. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I use Handbrake to shrink 'em and iTunes to sync 'em.

9. davereynolds macrumors member

+1

10. littleman18 thread starter macrumors member

What do you set your videos in handbrake to tho ?
    And how long does it take to convert ?

11. cinca macrumors regular

If they are in DIVX format already you aren't going to get them much smaller... and if you're using AVplayeHD there's no need to convert.

I have no idea why people see the need to convert their video files.

The ONLY reason would be either if you have some giant multigigabyte movie that is at ultra uncompressed Blu-ray resolution or you want to walk with 500 movies on your iPad. In the first example the resolution exceeds the quality of the display and in the second the quality is going to be so poor it kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Can anyone who keeps talking about converting movies using handbrake explain explain the point?

There are plenty of great video players that support just about any format you might be converting from. And it's not like the video files are so large that you can't have 15 or 20 movies on your iPad at any given time.

Is converting movies using handbrake just a fun hobby?

Am I missing something?

12. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Well most people convert them to a iTunes format so they can have all movies in a library and also being able to play them natively on their iDevices.

13. Dweez, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I choose iPad format for the output, and a 2 hr movie shrinks to between 800 meg & 1 gig. It can take 30-45 min for a conversion. I've currently got 30 movies loaded and I rotate about once a month. The conversions I'm doing is from DVD format to m4v format. Lousy video quality? Perhaps, but that's not a big concern of mine as I use the movies for entertainment while traveling.

14. tekno macrumors 6502a

So I have a number of TV shows that I've handbraked (approx 300MB per file). How can I transfer them from my iMac to my friend's iPad Mini?

15. Essenar macrumors 6502a

XBMC with the hub for the win.

Well if I don't have internet access, I just play Bastion. :)