What is the font size that Apple uses on the MBPR? Would like that zoom on my 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vanimal, Apr 28, 2015.

1. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Obviously the MBPR has a "retina" display. I recently picked up a 2015 MBA 13" for a killer deal from BB when they had them on clearance. One thing i noticed compared to having a MBPR in the past. The font sizing is a lot smaller compared to the "retina" setting they have on the MBPR.

I have downloaded the plugin all pages zoom, and have been running the font at 106% like someone suggested. Does anyone know what size i would have to run to get the the same sizing found on the 13" MBPR?

Other than that i have been pleased even though its a TN panel. I downloaded a custom color profile to calibrate the display and REALLY helped the contrast and color. Looks night & day.

The Command + seems to get it close to how the MBPR is shipped, but you have to do that command overtime you fire up Safari. I find when you zoom in on the text it makes it less jaggy too. But with the command + overtime it switches pages it flashes the old size, and than adjusts to the new. A tad annoying but i guess i would have to live with that?

2. motrek macrumors 68020

By default the rMBP displays 113.49 points per inch and the MBA displays 127.68 points per inch.

So for them to display text at exactly the same size, you have to zoom the MBA in by 12%.

3. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for that math sir :) I set the plugin for zooming on the text to 12% and looks about right! Thanks again :)

4. martinmed, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

martinmed macrumors newbie

Never mind I found the thread you started with the link.

5. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

6. motrek macrumors 68020

Unfortunately this will simply stretch out a 1280x800 image to the native display resolution, which does not look good. It makes everything somewhat blurry.

7. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Very true, I tried that and it looked horrible. I adjusted the font percent that you recommended and it looks good.

8. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

how do you do this?

9. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a safari extension called "all pages zoom"

10. ucfgrad11 macrumors member

thanks! I was looking for a fix like this. but the 1280 looked awful.

11. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

No problem. You can even zoom on pages via Command + if you did not already know. I didn't since i am still new to all the OSX tricks coming from PC :)

12. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

If you find the system fonts to be too small as well, the next step is to download the TinkerTool and increase all font size settings by 1pt.