What is the future of the iPhone 'C' model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saintforlife, Aug 31, 2014.

1. saintforlife macrumors 65816

Will there be another 'C' model after the iPhone 5C? If so what size screen will it have and will it still be plastic? Any thoughts on the future of this 'C' model?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

They will continue with plastic backs by adding Object Orientation and call it the iPhone C++.

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

There is no future. The iPhone 5C will become the free on contract model for this year. It will be the last year we see it. After that it's the end...

4. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

A '6C' will probably come with the '6S' because that's how apple did it last yeat.
    Or maybe they're doing a 6C as the smaller (4.7") phone and the normal 6 as the bigger (5.5").

Who knows? It's up in the air. :rolleyes:

5. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

Going to stick my neck out a bit here, but I think that at the event, we (may) see an iPhone 5cs. This would be a design with the same body, but simply upgraded with the A7/M7 Chips, New Camera and Touch ID. This would replace the iPhone 5s and the current 5c would become free on contract.

The 5c has sold fairly well over the past few years and is a popular device. I don't think i'll be simply sent to the bottom of the line and scrapped.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

That would be nice :)

----------

where is that goddamn downrate button! :mad:

7. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is definitely sticking your neck out because Apple isn't going to sale 2 plastic phones as mid range and entry level phones.

8. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Remember the iPod mini? It was very popular, but they discontinued it anyway in favor of the nano. Apple is Apple, they'll do whatever regardless of the norm.

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Likely this happens when the iPhone 6 comes out:

$0 - iPhone 5C
    $99 - iPhone 5S
    $199 - iPhone 6 (4.7")
    $299 - iPhone 6 (5.5")

Possibly, they'll put the iPhone 5S internals in the housing of the iPhone 5C - but that's yet to be seen.

10. saintforlife thread starter macrumors 65816

It's a good guess that the iPhone 5C will be free this year if it doesn't disappear completely. I am more curious to know if there will be a completely new model next year after the iPhone 5C?

11. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I think the c will stick around because it is a good product to have at the low end. If it wasn't for the 5c, the 5 would have to be the free on contract this year, which would be really bad for margins. When it's time for the 6s, I think they'll remove the 6 from the lineup, just like with the 5/5s. Reason being is that they look entirely the same, and people who want to save some money shouldn't be able to get a product that looks just like the higher end one. And that year there might be a 6c. It's makes more sense to introduce a c model during the s years, so that their only releasing one new design per year.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I never really bought this argument - sure they changed the name, but wasn't it for all intents and purposes an upgraded mini? A big upgrade, of course, but it wasn't like they killed it without a viable replacement.

Anyway, as to the future of the 'C' iPhones - the iPhone 5c did its job. It sold much more than the 5 would have done, with larger margins, without eating into 5s sales (even, some would argue, boosting them by not offering a lower cost metal cased iPhone).
    I wouldn't at all be surprised to see an iPhone 6C next year - the biannual cycle seems to fit well.

13. Jfriend33 macrumors newbie

The 6c is being released. Just check xtremeguard.com

14. cynics macrumors G4

The 5c has sold fairly well over the past few "years"? It was released less then one year ago.

15. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

My best guess is the 6C would either be the 4.7 or the 5.5, hard to guess exactly which one though.

They could have the 4.7 as the cheaper iPhone 6C and the 5.5 as the more premium version.

-OR-

it's also entirely possible the 4.7 as the premium phone and the 6C to be the larger "more fun" 6C to balance it out?