What is the greatest civilization that existed on the face of this planet?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kabunaru, May 11, 2008.

?

What's the greatest civilization?

1. Atlantis (if existed)

8.0%
  2. Assyrians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Babylonians

1.1%
  4. Persians

2.3%
  5. Egyptians

11.4%
  6. Greeks

20.5%
  7. Romans

37.5%
  8. Byzantines

1.1%
  9. Chinese

11.4%
  10. Aztecs/Mayans

6.8%
  1. kabunaru Guest

In opinion, state the civilization and state why do you think that? I would like to see what people say about this and I am interested in this stuff.

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Egyptians.

It's all fair and well saying the Romans are great, simply because they enjoyed massive military success overall, but the same could be said of many countries nowadays. Heck the British Empire was bigger than the Roman Empire in it's day.

IMO the Egyptians are the most amazing. Nobody has ever built anything as outstanding as the Pyramids, and nobody will for a large amount of time.

3. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Aztecs Mayans did some wonderful things also though. Large construction by slaves does not make a great race of people :)

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'd have to go with the Chinese. They were hundreds of years ahead of Western civilization for millennia, and they're still around and thriving.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm going to go with Canadian-born Chinese people. We fought with our parents for like......40 years, as they basically drove their kids towards becoming a doctor, dentist, lawyer, enginneer, and any other profession considered important. :p

They forced you to play 2 or 3 instruments at a young age. We were allowed to play any instrument we wanted, as long as it was piano or violin. We totally destroyed our parents' dream and never learnt to play any of those instruments.

They bought us "useful" presents, or a shirt and tie, to make us look smart when we went out to have dinner with their friends. We wore them down and they started buying us video games instead. And Lego.....ALL the Lego, although they were very happy to see us developing ours skills for our future architecture career. It's good to plan your career so far ahead.

They're against all types of relationships with the opposite sex, and when you become friends with a girl/boy, they're snoopy and spy on you, scaring both you and your friends away from your house. What has changed? Well, not much, but we decided to make friends with boys and girls anyway, calling them secretly from our mobile phones.

You have to be polite and well-mannered when your parents' friends come over to the house, or when you have dinner with their friends. You're forced to call every elder either "Auntie" or "Uncle", even though they're in no way related to you. It confuses you for the first 11-14 years of your life. Oh, and if you don't act perfectly, your parents will "lose face", bringing shame to the family. Every asian parent learns how to say "lose face" in English before moving to Canada. I think we've disappointed our parents so many times, they had no more face left.

The next generation of parents will totally NOT be like our parents, so we must have kicked a lot of ass over the past 20-30 years to make this happen.

Does any of this make sense? :confused:

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

United States of America is the greatest civilization that ever existed but our own govt is working hard to water it down into a country with no borders, no Constitution and no identity.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, that made me vote for Greeks.

8. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Why?
    The Greek "civilisation" was built on slavery and as far as Democracy goes… that only applied to land-owning men.

Unless you were being sarcastic, then my apologies for jumping in… ;)

9. Hmac macrumors 68020

I wouldn't call the USA a "civilization". More accurately, it's been a very influential sub-culture of Western Civilization, but only pretty recently relative to the history of the the world. As to that history, the USA is a mere drop in the bucket, will be a small footnote compared to the duration of the Roman Empire.

And I think it's pretty clear that the USA is on the downward slope of the bell-shaped influence curve we've been on for the last half-century. We are increasingly being eclipsed as cultural and economic leaders by the European Union. As the EU becomes increasingly unified, and as China and India become more competitive, our days as the dominant player in the world are most definitely numbered.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I was not, and your choice please?? :rolleyes:

Now I am being sarcastic.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Actually, since you asked…
    The Greeks…

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

In the history of the world, of what influential civilization was slavery not an important part?

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Read what I wrote in context of the quotes and you will see I was not debating the ethics of slavery, but the odd response of choosing the greeks as opposed to the Aztecs…

:eek: :D

14. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I think the Mayans and Aztecs should be two different options. They didn't even share a language.

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

What about Gaul? Probably the most enlightened empire to ever exist...

16. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I chose Rome, because as a westerner it really was the cradle of so much that we enjoy today. Law, customs, and the spread of the Church. Most of what happened in Rome were great benefits to man.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

18. bartelby macrumors Core

The Greeks. I mean what have the Romans ever done for us?;)

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Not to be a snobby arrogant Brit, but I'd have to say the British Empire. We started the industrial revolution, played a large part in forming what is now the USA, and were the largest empire in history to date.

Then again to compare them to other empires that were around thousands of years before, in many ways we were less civilized, ie. cleanliness, manky teeth, chucking piss out windows etc. ;)

20. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Oh, Monty Python! :p Had to be said. :eek:

21. e.m. macrumors 6502

i find it kinda offensive that Mayans and Aztecs are grouped as one. I understand that maybe you were running out of poll options, but...

22. bartelby macrumors Core

That's what I was hoping for!:D

23. cube macrumors G4

And where are the Incas??

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

To quote Freud's "Civilization and Its Discontents":

"Civilization is a frowny face turned upside down and dropped on its head..."

) : )

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

The face of the planet? Fine, no love for the mole men I suppose.