What is the ground breaking feature that will make you buy an iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GregD, Sep 9, 2012.

1. GregD macrumors member

As an avid Apple fan I try and update my hardware every few years or so.
    I bought the iPhone 4 on launch day as the retina display was too good to miss.

While the iPhone 5 hasn't been officially announced I just don't see what the killer feature is going to be this time. Also if the leaked shots are anything to go by i'm not impressed by the case or the 4 inch screen.

What do we think the killer feature will be this time that will make you buy it on launch day?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

For most, the most groundbreaking new feature will be 4G LTE.

I wouldn't call a half inch taller screen as "groundbreaking" ;)

3. iFanboy Guest

There isn't one unless Apple have been great at disinformation this time around.

The new iPhone 5 will probably be a longer device with a 4" screen (diagonal). Build quality will be great, screen will be awesome and clear, camera will be even better than the 4S, it will be thin and solid to hold, and the UI will be quick and user friendly.

The issue is that those positives are now considered "boring" because they simply build on an already great platform instead of burning it and announcing a whole new one.

Evolution is solid and steady improvements of an already great product, but we've been spoilt as consumers with continuous revolution from our products - so many people are getting bored.

*Yawns*

4. GregD thread starter macrumors member

Agreed I actually don't consider 4G or taller screen ground breaking or innovative. Just following the market which if the announcement this week is just as we predict is quite concerning for hardcore apple fans.

In my opinion it seems like apple are just resting on their laurels if that's the case.

Yes I agree this is about evolution. But the iPhone 4S is the evolved iPhone 4 so I would have thought the 5 would be more like the iPad2 or iPod touch in terms of the tapered shape

To me what would make me upgrade would be some big UI enhancements to iOS which are only on the iPhone5 and also a really thin tapered phone similar to iPod touch and iPad2.

5. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

Groundbreaking features are not required

I am not expecting any ground breaking features.

I am on contract, and that means I bought my iphone 4 for a price subsidised by my contract provider (Orange). Orange have got their money back from me by keeping me locked in for the last two years. Now that my contract has expired, I am paying over the odds for my monthly subscription.

I am interested in getting a new iphone to get better value for money for my monthly subscription.

I am also hoping for a better camera and bigger memory.

My iphone 4 takes great pictures in daylight, but terrible pictures under artificial lighting. I am hoping that the next iphone camera will take much better photos indoors.

My phone is currently full, and I would like more memory too.

6. mantan macrumors 68000

I didn't even need groundbreaking...if they would've upgraded the memory to $199/32 gig, $299/64 gig, I would have been happier than a slightly faster processor, better camera, etc.

Memory prices have dropped. App sizes have grown. HD video eats a ton. This would have been a cost effective way to make the iPhone 5 significantly better.

If it had that along with LTE and a slightly bigger screen I'd be thrilled.

7. GregD thread starter macrumors member

Obi, im in a similar situation on contract with O2 which is now up and ive just requested my phone be unlocked so i can potentially change to giffgaff at a much lower rate.

I think bigger memory and better camera are probably a definite. However I don't think spending another 200£ one off fee for the phone and a fixed a 2yr contract is worth it for just that. For the iPhone4 it was retina, 4s it was siri so 5 needs to be something better than both of those for me to justify the cost.

8. Obi Wan Kenobi macrumors 6502

Obi Wan Kenobi

GregD

I hadn't heard of giffgaff before. I've just looked them up. It looks like they have some great deals if you already have an iphone.

When the new iphone comes out I will 'do the math' (to borrow an American expression) to see if it's a better deal than taking up another two year contract.

Thanks for the info.

9. GregD thread starter macrumors member

No problem, glad to help. A friend at work uses it on his 4S and couldnt be happier.

The prices are really tempting as i mainly use data and never use my mins.

Yea I'll be doing the math too come the announcement this week :)

10. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

finger print scanner will be the best on the home button

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Unlike a lot of people on these forums, I don't look to my phone to fill some empty hole in my life. I also don't expect a complete reinvention every year. For one thing, it would be extremely costly for a company to do that, and for another, the more a company approaches perfection with its inventions, the more incremental the updates become. (I'm talking design, not technology).

So, I'm getting the 5 because of LTE, and because I simply want the latest iPhone available. I LOVE my 4S (and loved my 4) so if there was no new iPhone on the horizon, I would be perfectly content.

I hope the people here on the forums that seem utterly depressed and distraught that Apple is not fulfilling their deep-seated needs are just engaging in forum group behavior and don't really feel that way. If they do, that makes me sad for them. They can certainly go to another company and buy another phone, but in the end, they'll always be searching for that next fix.

12. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Transforms into a personal jet for travel, and into a chef to make me food anytime i want. Oh and prints money.

13. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Lte? You mean like the Thunderbolt?

14. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

No like the new ipad.

:D

15. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Lol.