What is the impact of changing my iTunes ID?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pomme4moi, Nov 17, 2013.

1. pomme4moi macrumors newbie

When I do CMD-I on an item in my iTunes library, I notice that my Apple ID (for example, xxxx@gmail.com) appears to be embedded in the tag data for the item. If I change my Apple ID to yyy@gmail.com, what is the impact on the items that I already have purchased from the iTunes store? Will my movie, TV and music content still be playable? Wiil I still be able to download free updates of previously purchased apps and iBooks?

I am running OS X Mavericks and iOS 7.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You will have access to content in your library but you won't be able to update items, nor you be able to mix purchases from two different iTunes accounts.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I think the OP was asking about changing the Apple ID, not adding a second one.

I was curious about this since I need to do the same thing. There are a couple of articles on the apple support site about this. They say that you need to sign off all devices before the change, then sign back on with all devices after the change. They don't explicitly address what will happen with the Apple ID you saw in the song properties. If you do go ahead with this, please report back with your experiences.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You cannot change your Apple ID. You can only add a new one. And all purchases made with an Apple ID are tied to that ID, they cannot transfer to a new one. So essentially, yes, he would be added a second Apple ID, and none of his songs or apps that he currently owns would be transferred to the new one, and could not be updated unless he went back to sign in with his old Apple ID.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

You speak with such authority for someone who is just spewing crap without looking things up. Changing your Apple ID.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

You can sign into AppleID.apple.com, verify your identity and change your primary/secondary email addresses at will. I've done this 2-3 times now with my personal accounts.

Changing your AppleID in this manner seems to have no effect on purchases. My assumption is that Apple remembers the previous email addresses used with your AppleID when checking authorization.