What is the keyboard shortcut for going from English to another language?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by key-lime, Oct 19, 2011.

1. key-lime macrumors newbie

I enabled the Chinese (simplified pinyin) input on my brand new Apple but I can't find the keyboard shortcut anywhere. Where do I find this? As of now, I need to change the language by clicking on the flag at the top and going from there. I know there is the 'command' and 'space bar' shortcut, but that just leads me to 'spotlight'.

Sorry...I looked a lot for this and can't find it. Thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Like you, I've noticed that Spotlight overrides the Cmd-Space shortcut. In my case I don't use Spotlight often so I disabled the shortcut for it (Sys Prefs > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts), and therefore Cmd-Space swaps between keyboards.

However, it's also possible to change the shortcut for the keyboard swapping the same way (Keyboard Shortcuts > Keyboard & Text Input).

3. key-lime thread starter macrumors newbie

I disabled the command and space button input for spotlight and it still didn't change or allow me to switch. Any other suggestions?

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

You need to enable shortcut in Language & Text\Input Shortcut and select Keyboard Shortcut.

5. cityathrt macrumors regular

I also type Chinese, but I type traditional zhuyin. For those who type in zhuyin, I haven't figured out how I can select different characters for the same pronunciation. I gave up after a bit and downloaded Yahoo Keykey -- just a heads up for those who type Chinese. On the other hand, if someone knows how to select different characters for the same pronunciation (ie. on Windows I'd highlight the character and press the down arrow), please let me know.

6. alanmcdonley macrumors newbie

Switch Language - set up alt/option-space

FWIW - alt/option space is "available" as an unassigned shortcut, so:

Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts->Keyboard and Text Input:
    scroll to see "Select next input source in input menu"
    Click the check box to enable
    double click over the "cmd-space" short cut
    hold down alt/option key and press the space bar

Now alt/option space will switch input language