What is the lag that people are talking about on the rMBP?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Safari: zoom in then scroll.
Calendar: flip through the month page animations
Resize the app store

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
Colorado
B... : I just tried all that and I also have a 15" cMBP [ AG + HR ] with the same specs [ except the SSD part] right next to each other today, [ both are mid 2012 models ] and I see zero lag on the rMBP.

I'm comparing both and the rMBP is just as buttery smooth as the cMBP.

I have, however, seen lag on a few rMBPs [ using Mission Control, and resizing the App Store ] that I played with in the Apple store. So, it isn't as if this *lag* is a myth!

I believe, some rMBPs are plagued with this [ along with the dreaded IR on those LG screens... and the EFI update bug.. ] while others aren't.

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
B... : I just tried all that and I also have a 15" cMBP [ AG + HR ] with the same specs [ except the SSD part] right next to each other today, [ both are mid 2012 models ] and I see zero lag on the rMBP.

I'm comparing both and the rMBP is just as buttery smooth as the cMBP.

I have, however, seen lag on a few rMBPs [ using Mission Control, and resizing the App Store ] that I played with in the Apple store. So, it isn't as if this *lag* is a myth!

I believe, some rMBPs are plagued with this [ along with the dreaded IR on those LG screens... and the EFI update bug.. ] while others aren't.
Which rMBP model do you have?

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro, 15", 2.7GHZ, 16GB ram, 512 GB hard drive

I cant find an instance where I get the UI lag people talk about, but I would like to see if I can

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I have a 2012 Macbook Pro, 15", 2.7GHZ, 16GB ram, 512 GB hard drive

I cant find an instance where I get the UI lag people talk about, but I would like to see if I can
To me it is evident when you have 2-3 windows open and try to activate Mission Control while using the integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics (one of the reasons I'm waiting for Haswell).

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Safari: zoom in then scroll.
Calendar: flip through the month page animations
Resize the app store
I think Webkit is making the scroll on zoom much better. Definitely no lag while normal scrolling anymore, and that used to be a big issue when I first got my rMBP last summer. We will get to complete smoothness one day!

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
go to the apple store, open up one of the magazine pdfs they have on the machine to show how amazing the screen is. then scroll down...youll see the lag