What is the life duration of your MacBook? How many years?

chinaboxer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
I wonder how long should it be considered rational to replace your macbook? What about you guys?

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
When it can no longer efficiently perform the tasks you use it for on a daily basis
That will vary from user to user

Most do not need the latest and greatest on a regular basis
My 2007 MBP would really perform most things for me just fine now
I upgraded to the 2011 MBA for the mobility over my 17" MBP

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
When it can no longer efficiently perform the tasks you use it for on a daily basis
Pretty much this. I've had a PowerBook for quite some time, despite the fact that I ran software that was no longer supported. Probably at least 5 to 6 years. I upgraded to an Air this year because I absolutely needed Windows software for work, and I didn't want a second laptop.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
My oldest is a 2008 MB and the newest, a 2010 MB. I plan on using both at least a few more years. There is no reason to buy Apple's latest and greatest every year although thats what they hope for.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
iBook g4 -just over a year (given to nephew)
PowerBook g4 -just over a year. (used as spare for 3 years)
MacBook Pro - almost 3 years (8600gt failure) PowerBook died same week
13" + 15" MacBook Pros. ( 18 months so far and i'd guess i'd get at least 2 more yeras out of them- apples designs seem to getting more durable IMO)
I'm going travelling for an extended period soon ,so will be getting rid of them.

DaKKs

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Macbook White (Mid 2006): Daily service (Main computer)

PowerMac G5 (Mid-2005): Active service (CCTV Server)
Powermac MDD (late 2003): Active service. (Basic office work/Backup machine)
Powerbook Pismo (late 2000): Active service. (Writing machine)
Powerbook Kanga (early 1998): Retired.

chibiterasu

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
London, The United Kingdom
My 2010 MacBook lasted just under 2 years before the genius bar replaced it with a 2012 mbp 13inch. Since then I have got an iMac G4 in my bedroom for basic tasks like word processing and web browsing and that's doing just fine :)

robvas

macrumors 68030
Mar 29, 2009
USA
MacRumors answer: Every time a new one comes out!

Real answer: White MacBooks are getting pretty close to -needing- replaced. They are getting slow and parts wearing out.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
My iBook G4 just died and I had it since new and the last couple of years my 11 yo son was using it.
And it was fine for him doing his homework and email, web stuff on it and still ran some of his favorite games on it.

So I now bought a used 2010 MacBook Core 2 Duo and he is using it and it is by far not much faster at the same things he was doing with the G4.
It really all depends on what you do and how you use it.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
As long as it suits your needs.

My Late 2006 (2,1) MacBook (bought Feb 2007) is still running along fine - mostly - over 5 years later. However, I've grown fed up with not having enough (or any) GPU power and will get a gaming rig this year.

I'll still use my MacBook, though. At the very least it's going to be a media hub since it already has 200 GB of media on it.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Real answer: White MacBooks are getting pretty close to -needing- replaced. They are getting slow and parts wearing out.
I disagree- It depends on the MacBook... I have a white MacBook and it runs quite well (Although it is only 3 years old). Just because the computer is getting older doesn't mean that it has to be be replaced (though when it starts slowing down and not suiting your needs then you probably need a new one). It also depends on the person who owns the MacBook. If you take good care of your computer, it will last quite a while. If you don't, it won't last as long.

maril1111

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Denmark
When the cost of repairing costs more than the value of the machine is, is it time for a replacement or when it can't perform the tasks you want it to perform... one of these two scenarios will always occur.

I personally do it every 3-4years if i can. But currently i think my current mbp will probably and hopefully last me 5+ years.

borisiii

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Late 2008 Alu MacBook bought at launch - still going strong after 3.5 years but no longer meeting my needs. RAM limit and lack of SATA 3 meant upgrading would yield limited benefit. Bought a retina back in June and haven't looked back.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
My 2006 Black Macbook lasted 5 years before the logic board died. I ended up selling the LCD panel for $80, and got an external case for the hard drive. Not a total loss..

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The MacBook 5,1 in my signature meets all of my needs at the moment (on 10.8.1). I typically take the route of upgrading when possible in order to extend the life of my hardware. I believe regular maintenance of software is just as important. All of the files I need are backed up off site, so if I need to do a clean install, I can do so with ease.

I plan to use this MacBook at least until the old style MacBook Pros are discontinued.

PS: It's almost 4 years old.

Last edited:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA

Most do not need the latest and greatest on a regular basis
My 2007 MBP would really perform most things for me just fine now
I upgraded to the 2011 MBA for the mobility over my 17" MBP
Precisely!

I still have my pristine, yet well used 2002 Titanium PowerBook G4. It looks like new, functions like new, and is one of my favorites out of all the different Mac laptops I've owned.

That's why I kept it. I use it for writing, the web, email & such, so as to keep it from just rotting away, since my main MBP's / MBA's are all current models.

Besides it as enjoyable to use as day one. Well cared for, the _only_ part that's ever needed to be replaced is the battery, which is a consumable. The original hard drive is doing well as is everything else about this fine machine.

10 years old this November, I wouldn't sell it at any price :)

iDutchman

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
I have a (spare for a long time already) 2006 Black MacBook which looks new (no oily keys and stuff, new topcase).

I runs (with a new SSD) like any other new Mac. Lion is the latest, but the machine does almost everything still. 1080P .mkv files with Plex aren't an issue either. Does it all.

So, that's 6 years and I could use it if I wanted to on a daily basis.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I wonder how long should it be considered rational to replace your macbook?
When it starts getting too slow for what you need it for. If you're only using it for web, email, iTunes, MS Office, it will last many years. My Macbook is almost 6 years old and is more than enough for that stuff (especially with an SSD) and there are probably plenty here using much older Apple laptops for that stuff. With an SSD, mine is quite snappy. On the other hand, if you're using it for things like 3D rendering, heavy photoshop work, etc, then it might not last as long.

It's kind of hard to give you a good answer without knowing what you use it for. For what I use a laptop for, I would expect a new one to last me at least 5 years.