What is the Life Span of uMBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matt 2.x, May 8, 2010.

1. Matt 2.x macrumors newbie

I am about to buy my first unibody macbook pro, and I was wondering realisticly how long I can expect it to last. Will it last me 5 years, even maybe 6 years.
    I know that it depends on your care of the machine, so assume I will take the up most care of it.

Thank you.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Considering that many people still use their G4 iBooks and PowerBooks, five to six years can be achieved, but sometimes even the best care can not prevent hardware failure.

And as the current uMBPs are only 1 1/2 years old, no one really knows how big their life span is.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Mine is over a year old and it's starting to fall apart. I mean internally. I can't burn DVDs anymore, my iSight camera started to fail recently and my computer crashes about once a week. I may have gotten a really unlucky model but that's all I can say in my experience!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about warranty?

5. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Unfortunately all these problems started happening a few weeks after warranty expired. I don't have AppleCare since I refuse to pay extra for something every other brand gives for free. One year of free warranty is ridiculous, it should be 2 years at least! And it should be free.

6. bluskale macrumors regular

I can't speak for the unibody, but earlier powerbooks seem pretty durable, presuming you're not handling your laptop roughly. I've been using a powerbook g4 for nearly 7 years, and it still works decently. Granted, I had to replace the superdrive once (breaking even on applecare), the hard drive (by choice, not necessity), and the ram (choice, then later on, necessity when the ram chip died... also, one of the ram slots died too, known problem). The screen has developed 2 or 3 stuck pixels, and the backlighting isn't completely even (there are a few brighter spots). At low backlight intensity, the bottom corners of the screen yellow dramatically. The battery lasts about 90-120 minutes under mild use (which is probably unusually long... however, I spent a long time playing WoW where I simply popped out the battery and didn't put it through the constant charge/drain cycles).

Oh yeah, WoW... this thing has ca. 150 days /played on it, so its seen a bit of stress. It has been my primary computer since I bought it... based purely on the hours I've put on the new hd, I'd estimate the laptop had ca. 1000 days powered on, or roughly 9-10 hours/day.

My brother has the same model laptop, and he also still uses his... his hard drive died once, other than that it is equivalent to mine. Note that not all laptops will be equally reliable, not between designs nor even between individual laptops of the same design. In general, the apple computers we've bought over the years (talking LC II - present) have had good build quality, with the possible exception of the performa line.... but that's old history.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

"Every other brand?" That's a bit of an overstatement considering most brands give you the same thing that Apple does, one year of hardware support.

8. TJaames macrumors member

Every computer/laptop I've ever owned has been under a 1 year limited warranty.

9. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

I bought my PowerBook G4 in 2003. At the time, I justified maxing out the hardware because I told myself it would be my machine for several years. I got the 12" 1ghz one. I used it as my only computer to make movies, watch movies, and do all my work on.

5 years later I decided it was time for a new Mac and got the MBP 2.66 ghz 4 gigs of ram, basically maxed hardware again because it would be another 5 years. 2 months later, the fan started to make a noise and the screen started to hum. I sent it for repair and waited for 2 weeks, I went back to my PowerBook which still works nice.

My MBP returned and was working again, a month ago, it started to shut off randomly and die on me, no more warranty. My 7 year old PowerBook works fine.

I just ordered the new MBP. But I didn't max the hardware this time because I'm pretty sure it won't go past a year. Apple's quality has really dropped.

No problem, I still have my PowerBook to save me.

10. MorganK macrumors regular

A few years ago other brands used to give you longer ones, but not anymore! At least not the majority. I also have an HP laptop (bought May 09) and it only came with a 1 yr warranty.

11. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

Well this is what I can tell you, we have 10 MBP's at work (2009 uni's) and all of them have been just fine except for one that has had the spacebar stop working..

these things are used by teenagers who throw them around and are taken to different camps everywhere. They are freaking beat up, but they are all doing great :)

hope that helps!

btw I am going to be buying Apple care even though I am sure everything will be fine. Just good to have.

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My 21 year old Macintosh Portable still works! The HD is toast tho, but it boots from floppy! Battery is gone tho.

Powerbook 180 works, battery died sometimes 5-6 years ago

All my three PowerBook Duos are working, the newest one (2300) even holds 20 mins on battery.

iBook300mhz one busted charger, one dead battery after 3 years, got a new one and a year later it won't charge anymore, tried other chargers and battery charge in other iBooks, so something is wrong with ac/dc board i guess.

I had one Powerbook G4 just dying after 9-10 months, Apple replace it.
    Second worked fine for over two years, and I sold it.

My SantaRosa MBP, you all know the stories about those, dead graphics card twice and a screen that got dark spots. Apple finally replaced it with a Core i5.

For my experiences, the Apple laptops aren't as resilient as the used to be, but at least in my case Apple service has been great and frankly, I i payed $1700 for a MBP in 2007 and now i have a brand new i5, and it have only cost me a few trips to my local apple reseller and a few phone calls.