What is the lifespan of macbook pro battery?

macdaddy612

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Sorry for my horrible english grammar but english is my second language. I have early 15" macbook pro, and I bought late December 2011.Right now my battery cycles is 462 therefore my current max is 85%, 5922 mAh. Is this bad?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Yesterday I replaced a battery, which had 1433 cycles since 11/2008 and was down to 47 % of its original capacity.
The batteries built into the current MacBooks are quite good and are promised to keep their capacity over 80% for at least 1000 cycles.

But how come, you have 462 cycles in less than a year? That is almost two cycles per day. You don't need to disconnect the Mac from the power once it has fully charged.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

macdaddy612

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2010
Yesterday I replaced a battery, which had 1433 cycles since 11/2008 and was down to 47 % of its original capacity.
The batteries built into the current MacBooks are quite good and are promised to keep their capacity over 80% for at least 1000 cycles.

But how come, you have 462 cycles in less than a year? That is almost two cycles per day. You don't need to disconnect the Mac from the power once it has fully charged.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
  • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
  • AC POWER
  • CALIBRATION
  • BATTERY LIFESPAN
  • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
  • CHARGING
  • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
  • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
  • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I get 3-4 hours battery life out of my 13" mbp battery from 2010 with about 400 cycles on it.

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Sorry for my horrible english grammar but english is my second language. I have early 15" macbook pro, and I bought late December 2011.Right now my battery cycles is 462 therefore my current max is 85%, 5922 mAh. Is this bad?
I have 88% with 771 load cycles on my 2009 MBP, it is on 10 hours a day and I am really careless about charging it. No idea how you managed to do 450 load cycles in such a short time :eek:

Nov 28, 2010
located
To take care of it?
No. Have you read the FAQ yet? And again, do you charge the MacBook Pro and then after that has finished use it on battery again? Otherwise I can't explain the high cycle count.
We just don't ask questions for fun, it helps us with helping you. But then again, who wants that anyway.

sammyvine

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2012
Whats the best way to save a macbook pro battery

Always leaving it on charge or what?

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
If you want data for comparison my 33 month old MBP (2009) has 803 loadcycles and 88% capacity left. I never took any care of the battery (actually, I was rather careless).

Keinding

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Hi!

How can you check how many cycles you battery have done?

----------

Found it ;)
*just needed to look for it... :D

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Hiding from Omnius in Australia
2011 MBP, bought around March. 104 cycles, 98% health. I never bother calibrating my battery, and only every now and again use it unplugged.

I use iStat Pro to get my battery health.

My previous MBP (2006, pre-unibody, replaceable battery) had its battery almost completely fail at around 250 cycles. The technology used in batteries today is leagues ahead of tech back then.

PS: If you're worried about battery health, first thing to do is calibrate your battery, to check that the health being reported is accurate.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Hi!

How can you check how many cycles you battery have done?

----------

Found it ;)
*just needed to look for it... :D
get iStat or Coconut battery

I believe apple charges$99 for a new battery on 2009 Models, thats what Genius Bar told me , mine is about 2 years old 65% life left ill wait til it hits 30% lol