What is the likelihood of USB 3.0 making it into the next Mac Pro in 2010?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Icaras, Jul 14, 2009.

1. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Hm, I doubt it. USB 3.0 hasn't exactly made it's way anywhere yet, and I don't think Apple is ready to adopt it just yet. There is a possibility, maybe towards the later part of the year.

2. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

well If they will have it or not. You will surely be able to buy an USB 3.0 PCI-Express Card for your Mac Pro.

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Yup, that's true.

4. kirreip macrumors regular

You probably need drivers for it. Does the OS need to support it?

5. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

There will be for sure a PCI Express Card for the Mac Pro. If the card will need drivers, there simply will be drivers from the hardware developer. If there won't be drivers, it simply doesn't need any drivers. How easy is that. I think you don't need to worry about USB 3.0 ... Everything will be fine^^

6. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

What is the likelihood of USB 3.0 making it into the next Mac Pro in 2010?

0-0.1%

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I think there's a good chance. You're talking about next year and a lot can happen in just a couple of quarters. It may take a mid to late 2010 refresh but I'd be surprised if the sun sets on 2010 without USB 3.0 in the Mac Pro.

8. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

True, but there seems to be only one mac pro update per year, and if they update it in the first quarter of 2010, then I think the chances are rather slim.

Anyway, its good to know we can just get a PCIe card for it. Nothing like having more USB ports anyway. That said, I supposed the addition of USB 3.0 wouldn't be so much of a deal breaker to some. Instead of something like, say, oh.........BLU-RAY? :eek:

9. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Watch, when Apple does actually release a Mac Pro with 3.0, its going to end up like the whole recent Macbook Pro SATA 1.5 fiasco (protests in which i took part of vehemently). They'll mess with us by having USB 3.0 capped to 2.0 speeds for the first 14 days of launch before Apple finally succumbs to firmware update demands by an angry legion of early adopters where maybe 90% of them don't even have a 3.0 device yet. :D

10. zedsdead macrumors 68040

While we are on the topic, when is Firewire 1600/3200 coming?

11. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

It's a dead product. Not having a real release schedule. Move along nothing here to see as they say.

12. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I don't think you will see it but you do have a better chance getting USB 3.0 then a BluRay drive :(

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

It depends how backward compatible USB 3.0 truly is as to when we'll see it in Macs. I suspect that we'll see the first Macs with USB 3.0 starting in 2010, but the Mac Pro might not be the first one.

I suspect it will come when we can buy 1 TB SSDs with speeds at least triple what we see today for under $100.;) (Likely 3-5 years from now)
    Hopefully they will just go straight to Firewire 3200. :D

Very true. :p