What is the little strip on the top front of screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TBRAMS, Jul 9, 2011.

1. TBRAMS macrumors member

I don't see it on the black iPhone 4 but I do on the white iPhone 4, what is the little strip on the top of the screen?

2. Darkrider macrumors member

Darkrider

its called a proxcimedy sensor t cut the screen off when you put the phone to your ear and cuts the screen on when you move it away from your ear also it auto brightens your screen or auto dims it when theres to much light

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

*Proximity

Sorry, I had to. It simply looked so wrong.

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yikes.

It's a proximity sensor. It exists on the black iPhone 4 but since it's black, it is camouflaged by the rest of the phone. It is used to sense light, hence why your screen goes black when you put your phone up to your ear when placing a phone call. :) Unfortunately, they couldn't find a way to make it a little less intrusive on the white iPhone 4 while keeping it as functional as it can be, so we're left with this little eyesore. I think it's kind of cute though! :)

5. TBRAMS thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Okay thanks, here's my concern. I recently put a skin on my phone(black) but since I didn't know what it was and that it was there I did not punch the hole out for it. Should I now remove it?

6. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

It's not effecting anything major, except it's blocking your phone from knowing when you're on the phone. If this doesn't matter to you and you don't mind hanging up on someone every once in a while with the side of your face, then it really doesn't matter.

And if it is a screen cover you are talking about, I doubt that will effect the sensor.

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

omg... lol..... what a cutting reply !!

Im still laughing dude !

:D

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Just depends if you feel like putting someone on speaker phone, mute, or hanging up on them once in a while. :D