What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wywern209, Jun 19, 2009.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

ahh.. the eternal question. i was wondering what the thoughts of some MR members was on this.
    <here comes the long explanation>
    The meaning of life is simple. It is to make sure that your life and your existence has meaning. That it has value. If one doesn’t achieve that before death, then one’s life has no meaning. There is no set definition to life and the history of how we came to be will leave it as such that we, humans will never be able to set a definition for life. Life is defined by the individual and not by anything else. Life is defined by the individual’s actions, emotions and achievements. So if you are an utter failure during the course of your life, then your life had little or no meaning. In a sentence the meaning of life, is to make sure one’s existence is not completely pointless, just somewhat pointless. It took me, Goutham Pai more or less 16 years to come up with this answer. Of course, this answer might as well be different because like I said, the definition is different for each person just as each snowflake is not the exact same as any of the billions that have descended to the earth before it. In conclusion, for Life to have any meaning one must define it before death arrives at the doorstep.

<and here it ends>
    soo what are ur thoughts?
    EDIT: not 42.(if u get that reference, good for u)

2. bartelby macrumors Core

3. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

4. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

lol. 42 is the answer the government gives everyone to shut them up:D

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

No, that's the meaning of life, the universe and everything. It's a quite different question.

The Meaning of Life is a 1983 film made by the Monty Python team. I hope this answers the OP's question. :)

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Of course. You are correct.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

8. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

I knew that would pop up. Damn good books.

9. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

10. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Here are 2 popular opinions...

"The great use for life is to spend it for something that outlasts it" - William James

"The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever" - Westminster Confession

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

That question was answered in the film "City Slickers". The answer is "one thing", meaning there is one thing that is the meaning of everyone's life, and for everyone, that one thing is different.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I find the question itself absurd, and one that ultimately proves divisive. Most religious conflicts stem from differences in the answer they have reached, and whose answer to the meaning and by extension value and proper use of a life is correct and worth fighting and dying for.

14. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Sex...

rather, the continuation of ourselves through our our species. Thats as far as my theory has gotten so far.

15. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Umm... I think I prefer 42...

On the other hand, if the meaning of life is to "do something worthwhile" or "do something that outlives you" how would you measure that? Would that mean Bill Gates? Or anyone who gave their (or other people's) children a solid foundation for the rest of their lives? Any reasoning just gets too subjective.

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is to have a good un*.

*that doesn't interfere with other people.

17. wywern209 thread starter macrumors 65832

wywern209

lol. yes the answer is to live to eat the best potato chip. after all, u only live for soo long, so u have to eat carbs at some point. and btw, i don't trust wolfram alpha,. it said 42. government!!!!!:D

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

19. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Well, it's nothing very special. Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations

20. snberk103 macrumors 603

All good answers so far. But so far none have made me think that 42 is wrong.

21. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

42 can never be wrong.

22. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

Lady Presenter: Well, that's the end of the film. Now, here's the meaning of life.
    [Receives an envelope]
    Lady Presenter: Thank you, Brigitte.
    [Opens envelope, reads what's inside]
    Lady Presenter: M-hmm. Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations...

23. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Meaning is a human invention and, as such, it exists nowhere outside the human mind. There's no objective or universal meaning to life, only the subjective meanings which we all attribute to it.

This is only my humble opinion, of course.

24. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

As mentioned slightly above:

Jack Palance: "Do you know what the secret of life is? One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and everything else don't mean sh*t."

Billy Crystal: "Yeah, but what's that one thing?"

Jack Palance: "That's what you've got to figure out."

~From the movie 'City Slickers'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1uOqRb0HU