What is the most accurate iphone full body skin that accounts for the Chamfered edges

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by ShowOut, May 26, 2013.

1. ShowOut macrumors newbie

Which iPhone 5 full body skin most accurately resembles the colors of an original black iPhone? MY mom recently ordered a black iPhone 5, so i recommended she buys a skin before she starts scratching her phone. She wants to keep the original look of the phone, but none of the clear skins i've seen cover the chamfered edges. Any help? If there is no exact skin, I would like to know what skin combination most accurately represents the look of an original black iphone 5.

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Skinomi TechSkin - Apple iPhone 5 Screen Protector Ultra Clear Shield , Full Body Protective Skin , AT&T, Sprint, Verizon Wireless
    http://amzn.com/B0092QSQEK

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

----------

IQ Shield LIQuidSkin - Apple iPhone 5 Screen Protector Ultra Smooth Film , Full Body Skin , Lifetime Replacement Warranty
    http://amzn.com/B009EA550C

ArmorSuit MilitaryShield - Apple iPhone 5 Screen Protector Shield, Full Body Skin Protector and Lifetime Replacements
    http://amzn.com/B005SN1FOY

3. ip4 macrumors newbie

ip4

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Those don't look like they cover the chamfer at all. The first one obviously doesn't from the pics. The second looks the same as the first. I am not sure abou the third, but their screen protector looks like a poor cut far from the edges.

I have one from digiskin (the full metallic series). The cuts are about 99.4% perfect. The material is 100% perfect. It is expensive (40+) but I think it would be hard to match it in terms of protection. It covers 99.99% of the chamfered edge.

5. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The reason the edges are bot covered is because they will not be even when applying them. You need a case if you want to protect the edges.
    LUVVITT® CRISTAL Hard Shell Anti-Scratch Transparent Case for iPhone 5 (LIFETIME WARRANTY | Retail Packaging) - Crystal Clear
    http://amzn.com/B0092F7LAQ

6. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

False.

You don't need a case. "Sticker Boy . net" (no spaces, seems MR blocks the name, just google it / copy paste it) does have skins that cover the chamfered edge. Additionally their extreme fit skins also even have accurate, individual cut outs for each of the speaker holes and microphone holes.

Here's a picture of my neon ones, extreme fit with chamfered edge coverage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick edit, if you do go for the neon skins, be aware they get dirty quite easily, check the bottom corner of mine in the picture :|

7. ShowOut, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013

ShowOut thread starter macrumors newbie

After applying the skin with a blow dryer, does it come off/peel easily? Do you perform maintainence by reheating the skin every once in a while?

8. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

It peels easily-ish, just need to pry it with a fingernail then pull. That being said, it completely disfigures the skin, be warned. It doesn't naturally "lift" so to speak like the CF skins w/ chamfered edge coverage.

I have yet to have to reheat it with a blow dryer, with the CF skin with chamfered edge by sticker-boy I had to constantly, but that was because the CF skins are cut from a thicker 3M material vs this 3m vinyl which is much thinner so it adheres exponentially better.

Mind you, that was my experience with the CF skin... maybe someone else got theirs to never lift, I for one could not, it lifted constantly, but this vinyl skin stays down and has yet to lift :D

Lots of heat will be your friend in installing... else you might get a wrinkle on the corners, take your time and you won't. :)

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That looks great!

10. Munkypoo7, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

lol, thanks :p

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I bought these from Sticker Boy and they are a colossal pain in the arse to install. And I didn't even get the ones that fit perfectly over the speaker holes. I ended up just getting the Caudabe Veil instead. Yes, it's a case but it's so thin I barely notice it and it protects better than a skin.

12. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

The problem with that case is that it leaves the bottom and the top exposed and the chipping of the beveled edges just gets worse. Cannot believe that we pay these prices for a phone and there are problems.

My 1st iPhone 5 was great and no issues with chipping, had to send it back for battery failure and the new one chips if you look at it. Not a happy camper. :(

13. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Actually the case covers the entire top of the phone and leaves just the bottom exposed, which isn't too big of a deal if you just take care of the phone. And the good thing is the entire case wraps around the chamfered edges (except the bottom of course). *shrug* I've had no problems so far with the open bottom.

14. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Your are right, the back was not issue, simple, could not get the chamfered edges to work, watched the "simple" install on their video 3 times, no go.

Now thinking about a bumper as the bottom of the one I just sent back was what was chipping

15. meaty macrumors member

looks sick. how do they hold up for a long period of time? are they still on it if you still have the phone