What is the new process when selling your phone..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Since iOS7 and the activation lock, it will require you to enter your password after you erase the phone.

So you do that? How do you then transfer the phone over to the other person so if they have to erase it, it does not come up with your account again? Does it automatically transfer it over once they log into there account on the phone??

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Preparing iPhone/iPod/iPad with iOS 7 to sell:

Step 1: Go to Settings --> iCloud --> Tap on "Delete Account" --> Enter Password (This will ensure the future user will not require your iCloud E-Mail & Password / Log-In Info)

Step 2: Go to Settings --> General --> Reset --> Erase All Content and Settings

Step 3: Hand over the iPhone to the new user/buyer

Mods - Maybe make this a Sticky?

Suggestion for OP - If you can put my reply into the Main post, It will be helpful and change thread Title to:

"How to Prepare iOS 7 Devices for Resale"

3. ATC macrumors 6502a

I would just add one step to the above posts after I've experienced this firsthand while dealing with AppleCare+ replacement iPhones and iOS7; before you delete everything off the iPhone, go into Settings then iCloud and turn off Find My iPhone.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Your Step 1 isn't necessary. See the link above your post.

5. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

Uh, yes, it most definitely IS necessary.

You can not erase all content/settings without first disabling find my iPhone (which deleting the iCloud account does).

6. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Some people don't have iCloud enabled (I know its odd but there are people who don't use it because they don't know how convenient it is) so they would be wondering why they didn't get prompted) but yes good point sorry I missed going through the article.

7. Che Castro macrumors 603

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Doing just a restore will cause a pop up during setup stating the phone is registered to xxxx@blah.com's iTunes account please enter password

9. Martin81 macrumors regular

Martin81

I upgraded my 4S to iOS 7 shortly before I sold it. Hadn't used iCloud and just erased everything (twice). The new owner has had no problem setting it up.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I hope my response didn't sound snotty. It was late. :)

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    It doesn't. Just direct.
    This is an excellent thread as I too was troubled by the lack of information.

12. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

woah at the people insisting that is not necessary to delete the iCloud account...

have you heard about find my iPhone folks? or are you living under a rock? please investigate before posting otherwise

13. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I have never had to delete an iCloud account before and have sold many iPhones. I just erase all content and settings and it wipes everything.

14. robjulo macrumors 6502a

You simply need to turn find my iphone off and then erase before you sell it.

15. Mrphildog macrumors newbie

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

"Do I need to turn off Find My iPhone before giving away my device?

Yes. Before giving your device to someone else, always turn off Find My iPhone to ensure that the other person will be able to activate and use the device normally. The best way to do this is to erase all content and settings from your device before handing it over. This will completely erase your device, turn off Find My iPhone, and remove the device from your iCloud account. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings."

16. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

exactly.

17. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You did notice this is discussing the new process under iOS 7?

18. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't think you understood that the Apple link above (emphasis mine) contradicts your statement.

I'm not sure everyone is reading the entire thread or the entire posts others make.

So here's another response. Always delete your iCloud account and there are a couple of ways to do it. Everyone happy now? :)

19. robertopod1968 macrumors member

So erasing all content and settings will automatically turn off Find my IPhone. So you don't need to turn that off separately

20. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

I don't think you understood anything at all, I never said you shouldn't delete the iCloud account.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nope. Read Apple's KB entry again. When you attempt to erase you are prompted for your credentials and only then does the erase occur.

22. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

That's new from the Beta... The Beta's wouldn't let you do it like that. But, I still say the other way is better. :)

23. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The context of the conversation was "do you need to delete the iCloud account off the phone (or disable Find My iPhone) before erasing the phone to sell." Apple says you don't need to do either because erasing the phone does both.

Your comment was:

That sounds like you disagree that it isn't necessary to first delete the iCloud account before erasing. Or to put it more clearly, it sounds like you believe it is necessary to delete the iCloud account from the phone before erasing.

Again, the topic of discussion was not about deleting the iCloud account, it was about how to do it. I may not have understood. It would help if instead of rhetorical questions and snarky remarks that you simply made your point. If you leave room open for interpretation then there will be confusion.

----------

lol - By the time a phone leaves my hands it's been erased about every way it can be erased. Old ways, new ways, and some ways I make up on the spot. :D

24. BigJohno macrumors 65816

I'm currently selling an iphone 4s with ios 7...