What is the O next to the AT&T at the top of the screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphonejunkie84, Mar 14, 2010.

1. iphonejunkie84 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what it means? I just seen it at the top of my screen next to the AT&T icon.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It means GRPS. In other words, slow as hell or as I call it OH NO!!! (I got the O while in Dallas last week, it was sad.
    It goes GRPS, EDGE, 3G (in terms of speed).

3. iphonejunkie84 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it is telling me that my internet is going to run real slow?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not that bad, it's like dial-up speed which for looking at text and stuff is fine.

I switch the 3G off when I'm at home because the reception is poor inside this little concrete bunker of an apartment. Full GPRS reception seems to be faster and uses less power than flakey 3G.

Not all the networks down here have Edge (five networks offer the iPhone in Australia and Apple sell them outright, unlocked through the Apple Store and Online Store) so when I turn off 3G, GPRS is what I get.

Doesn't bother me, all I'm doing is looking at the MR forums, Twitter and NetNewsWire which is all basically text so it comes through fast enough.

5. iphonejunkie84 thread starter macrumors newbie

It must be something new they just started around here. I never have 3G where i live. And this is the first time i have see this O.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you have data you have, at the very least, GRPS or O. However, you should have EDGE ... if you don't have 3G. It could be a tower outage or something like that.

Where are you, generally speaking, that you do not have 3G? Did you tell Luke Wilson?

[​IMG]

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Are you in the US? They have the Edge network there because all you guys have to use AT&T - you must be somewhere you don't get either or they're fiddling with the Edge network and it's down for a bit...

8. iphonejunkie84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I live in the US (Indiana). Sometimes there is a E up there. Or if i am at home i have WIFI. If i go 15 miles west i get 3G. But like i have said i have never seen the O up there.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Must be in a flakey network area. I find that if I'm not getting at least a few bars of 3G I get sooooo much better battery life by turning 3G off. And I turn off WiFi if I'm not specifically using it for the same reason.

I get full 3G pretty much anywhere I need to go though, we've got somewhere around 96% of the population covered on my network - it's just in tricky little places like this bunker that is my apartment and my folks' place where even TV reception is a bit dodgy where I rely on GPRS (though they have WiFi so it's a non-issue) - it's fine for receiving emails and occasional browsing.

10. iphonejunkie84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it just changed back to an E. They must have been doing something with the towers.
    Thanks for everyones input. Atleast ill know what it is if it happens again.