Carrier What is the phone number for on activated iPad Air LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iJeremy, Jan 4, 2014.

1. iJeremy macrumors member

iJeremy

So I just activated the cellular data on my iPad Air and saw that the iPad was assigned its own phone number. Do I need that number for anything?

Thanks for any help!

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

It's just a way that carriers bill you.

Not sure exactly what your asking. But you cannot use it for voice purposes... only data.

3. iJeremy thread starter macrumors member

iJeremy

Thanks

OK thanks for quick response. Just wasn't sure if there was a use for it from my end.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

It also allowed for text messaging in addition to billing. My Aircard has a phone # attached which gets texts.

5. awair macrumors regular

Some carriers allow messaging, some may not. My carrier provides routine status updates on my data line, and as the iPad has no way of presenting these to me, I only receive them if the SIM card is in another device such as a USB modem or MiFi.

6. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Back before T-Mobile became an official iPhone/iPad carrier. I used a data only sim with a Nexus 7/iPad Mini. To setup an online account, they sent a temporary pin to the device to verify the device. Since an iPad can't get these since they are basically text messages, I had to slip it into the Nexus 7 since they can receive those types of messages.

Of course now, setting up a T-Mobile account for a data plan does not require this.

7. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

SMS's primary function was to deliver messages to the device from the carrier.

Carriers then got smart and decided to sell them at 10 cents a pop.